Topic

Colorado Trail Clothing System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Colorado Trail Clothing System

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brian Morgan

@bmor831

Locale: Houston, TX

I will be going out on the Colorado Trail this summer, probably starting out mid-June. I will be on the trail anywhere from a week or however long it takes me to complete the trail, just depends on my summer work schedule. I know this is about a month earlier than everyone suggests for doing the CT. I'm wondering what kind of weather to expect at that time and also need some suggestions on my clothing system since I've never backpacked in a mountainous area being from Texas.

After doing quite a bit of research on BPL and other blogs I am looking to take a longsleeve 1/4 zip capilene 2 shirt, a nike windshirt,driducks rain jacket, and a Marmot Zeus jacket. Is this appropriate for the conditions?

On the bottom I will be bringing Under Armour boxer briefs,capilene 2 pants, and some REI convertible pants. Is this enough on the bottom and will I need the bottoms to my driducks?

Thanks for the help guys! Lots of questions to come on this trip.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

It's better to ask those questions at the CT Forum at Trailforums.com

As to timing,

"The window for hiking the Colorado Trail is relatively narrow, beginning no earlier than mid-to-late June and ending no later than late September/ early October. Before mid-late June there is generally too much snow in the high country and after early October there is a very great chance there will be a snowstorm where the snow will accumulate and not melt the following day."

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have researched the CT and found from locals in Boulder who've done it end-to-end that the southern 1/2 is by far the best part of it. I guess horse and bike traffic and lack of nice scenery is the problem in the northern 1/2, closer to Denver.

Afternoon thunderstorms (and the accompanying lightning) is the problem on high areas in August.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I've done the CT and the Colorado segment of the CDT. Of you two, I prefer the CDT. But if you're set on the CT, try not to be a purist. It often sticks low in the trees and misses the good stuff!

As for clothing… Your choices are perfectly fine. I'd definitely bring the rain pants, and I'd probably ditch the windshirt. I'd also consider hiking in a tshirt…

Weather wise, it's a crapshoot. And depending on snowpack, you'll probably have some snow to walk on. Judging on conditions, you may even find yourself needing an ice axe.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools