Topic

Suggestions for overnighter in Henry Coe?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Suggestions for overnighter in Henry Coe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

With the poor ski conditions, I'm thinking about going to Henry Coe for an overnighter instead. Anyone have any good camping spots and/or scenic destination recommendations within about 10 or 15 miles from the headquarters? Last time I was there I went to Coit Lake, so I would prefer something different this time.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

@ Chris: I like the southern part of the park. I'll get back to this thread later once I pull out my map – there are some nice loops about that length certainly from Hunting Hollow. You can stay flat for a bit before climbing up the ridges, depending on the loop; to be sure though, expect ~1,000ft in elevation in just 1-3 miles. Also FYI, I encountered frost and frozen puddles just this last Sunday at Coe despite an expected low of 42ΒΊ.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Thanks Stephan. How were the daytime temps? I was at Pt Reyes over MLK weekend, expected to wear a long sleeve mid layer while hiking, but ended up in a t-shirt and shorts the whole time.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Total?

A logical trip would be to bag the high point. It just so happens to be a decent hike too.

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/mount-sizer-loop-henry-coe-state-park

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

I actually meant each way, but that seems like a great option. Do you know of any good spots to camp along that route? Looks like Los Cruzeros, Poverty Flat or China Hole are options, but any spots outside of the Western Zone?

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Thanks for this suggestion, Jack. I ended up doing that loop for the most part and it was great. Views of the Sierra up around Mount Sizer were a nice bonus.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools