Topic

Using two pads: closed cell foam below or above inflatable pad for best warmth/insulation from cold?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Using two pads: closed cell foam below or above inflatable pad for best warmth/insulation from cold?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

All you expert analysts at BPL – (specifically for a NeoAir and a Ridge Rest used in winter in a tarp); under what conditions, if any, is it better to have the closed cell foam pad below the inflatable, and under what conditions, if any, is it better to have the closed cell foam pad above the inflatable? What is the science here?

I can make an argument in either direction, but my instincts say I'll be warmest with the Ridge Rest below the NeoAir, and the NeoAir somewhat deflated but still comfortable in any sleeping position. Would be using a down sleeping bag, if that somehow matters.

If this has been asked and answered and you can point me to the thread, I'd be most grateful.

James Horner

@jbob19

Locale: Ontario

closed cell on top. no research or science that I know of but when i put the cc on top I'm warmer.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Equally unscientific, my brief experiements at this also suggest that the ccf pad above the inflatable is warmer. So like I think a number of people now do, if I'm pretty sure I'll be warm enough that way, I put the ccf pad under, to reduce the odds of a leak or puncture. If I'm not so sure, then the ccf pad goes above the inflatable instead.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools