Topic

GoLite pack raffle with pre-order of National Geographic issue

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals GoLite pack raffle with pre-order of National Geographic issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

National Geographic Magazine is running a 16-page story about my Alaska-Yukon Expedition in its March 2011 issue. I started taking pre-orders tonight for signed copies, available at http://www.andrewskurka.com/store/ngm-march2011.php.

GoLite has graciously offered a GoLite Pinnacle or Jam pack as a raffle item, per every 100 copies pre-ordered.

The newsstand price is $6 and I'm trying to match that, after accounting for postage and other expenses. 1 copy is $9; 2 copies is $14; 3 copies is $20; 4 copies is $25; 5 copies is $30.

More info: http://www.andrewskurka.com/store/ngm-march2011.php

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

Congradulations Andrew!I grew up reading Nat Geo…Peter Jenkin's walking trip…Robin Graham sailing his boat Dove round the world at 16…Everest climbs.Wow!Now you get to inspire the youngsters!Many dreams were born with Nat Geo influence

This may be the biggest exposure to the largest audience that light weight backpacking has had.They will see things like a MLD Solomid, Golite pack,and cat can stove for the first time. I remember buying a Jansport pack just like Peter Jenkins used on his walk.

I'll bet there may be some new folks interested in light weight backpacking after March : – )

Can't wait to see the story!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

That's a great price, $3 extra over newsstand price for a shipped and signed copy with raffle eligibility?! Just ordered one through Google Checkout, painless.

I'm very much looking forward to reading your piece Andrew, it's hard earned and well deserved. This will be the first Nat Geo issue I've read in a lonnnnng time- I'm excited.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Had the first raffle last night. The winner is Michael R from Hurricane UT. He got himself a sweet GoLite Jam, supposedly for his wife but I'm skeptical since he insisted on ordering a Men's — sounds like a "this is for you, honey (but really it's for me)" gift.

Michael Richey
    BPL Member

@beaverboymike

Locale: Southern Utah

Andrew is totally right…..it's "for my wife." Valentine's Day is coming up soon, do you think it'll make a good gift?

P.S. the more copies of the magazine you buy, the greater your odds of winning…(just buy like 25-30 copies :)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Lucky dog! Congrats, Mike.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Just purchased two copies, one for myself and one for my nieces (12, 8, 8).

I remember as a kid being in awe of the great adventures I'd see in the pages of NatGeo. Andrews trek is getting BIG coverage, anything over 9-10 pages is a huge accomplishment. Personally think it's cover-worthy!

If I win one of the packs, I solemnly vow to not give it to my valentine! :)

Congrats Andrew, well done.

Dug

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

Just ordered a copy through paypal (google checkout was giving me problems)

Congratulations! :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ how did you order through paypal?

thanks

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

paypal email is also on the page he links to in his post

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

I do make PayPal available for those who have a strong preference for it. But my workflow is optimized for Google Checkout so that is preferable for me.

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Locale: Southeast

This is so awesome. I remember reading through all the NatGeo magazines and wishing I could visit all those places. 16 pages is definitely a big deal in that magazine. Congratulations Andrew and I just placed my order.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

found it- thanks

ordered a copy :)

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

How about a package deal: Signed magazine and book?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Andy ain't it about time you wrote a book? Actually I want you to write (a least) 2. One for the Great Western Loop and one for the Alaska trip.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

He is writing a gear book. You can read some info on his progress on his Twitter account. I haven't been able to find very much info on this book though. I'm not sure if he's laying down his general opinions on backpacking gear, or if there is a more specific focus. I'd love to read a bit more info about the goal of this book and when it's expected to be complete.

Chris Kopp

@ckopp

Locale: SoCal

I can't wait for the Nat Geo article and the book(s)! Andrew Skurka has completely changed how I enjoy the outdoors. I was lucky enough to have dinner with him one night at Reds Meadow when he was doing the Sierra High Route with Buzz Burrell. Real nice, well spoken, guys. I will be bringing my copy of Nat Geo with me when Andrew speaks in La Jolla, CA this April!

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

What is this about books?

Chuck Norris checks under his bed at night to make sure Skurka isn't there so I'm sure they'll be fantastic.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools