Topic

Strap Tape Reinforcement

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Strap Tape Reinforcement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Eight or nine years ago I used strapping tape on an uncoated ripstop portion of a tent that I was making. The line of force ran along the bias and I didn't want the fabric to stretch. I used 1" strapping tape and sewed a line of stitching along its center to keep it in place. This tent was a rough draft and I had no expectation that the tape would be a long lasting fix.

I've only used the tent a few times in the 8 years but I am still surprised to find the tape perfectly adhered to the fabric. Plus there is no gooing or messiness from the tape's adhesive. Go figure. I believe, by the way, that 6 yards of this tape weighs about 1 ounce.

Here are a couple of photos.

Strapping Tape SeamStrap Tape Seam-Up Close

ziff house

@mrultralite

like reinforced packing tape for boxes?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Ziff,

Yes, like packing tape for boxes. It is usually clear with several lines of reinforcing threads running the long way. It isn't strong side to side, only lenthwise.

Here's an example:

TAPE

ziff house

@mrultralite

x

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools