Topic

recipe for granola bar things

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition recipe for granola bar things

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

My girlfriend gave me this recipe because I was looking for recipes for homemade granola bars. This is more of an oatmeal cookie bar, but it's been great for day hikes so far. I think it came from a Paula Dean cookbook or something like that.

1. Cream 1 1/2 cups butter into 2/3 cup brown sugar
    2. Mix in 2 cups flour, 2 cups rolled oats, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt
    3. Combine thoroughly. Divide dough into two roughly equal halves.
    4. Press the larger half of the dough into a greased 9"x13" pan
    5. Bake at 375 degrees for 5-10 minutes, until a light golden brown.
    6. Remove from oven, spread 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts over the dough.
    7. Press the remaining half of the dough into the pan on top of the baked portion.
    8. Mix 1 cup honey and 1/2 cup half and half together, then pour over the pan.
    9. Bake the whole concoction for another 15-20 minutes, until the top is very golden brown.
    10. Remove from oven, let cool, and chop into bars for later.

I've only made these once so far. They're quite tasty, and very buttery. Great for day hikes. The honey topping makes the top of the bars pretty sticky, though (maybe I didn't bake that part long enough).

Any suggestions on making these better? There's the obvious possibility of replacing the chocolate chips and nuts with various things. And replacing the butter with shortening for longer shelf life (would that work?). I was thinking of leaving out the half & half, and mixing the honey into the dough rather than pouring on top, just for more even sweetness. Anybody else?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

dried cherries… or dried blueberries (in with the chocolate chips) or even some chopped candied ginger

because they are baked the shelf life from the butter shouldn't be any different than shortening…. and butter probably tastes a little nicer.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Why is it that butter or eggs have to be refrigerated or they'll spoil especially eggs,

but if you put them in something and bake them they'll last for days or weeks?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Butter and eggs actually don't spoil that fast – we just put everything in the fridge these days.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Dried cranberries and blueberries were on the top of my list for things to add, so I'm with you on that one Laurie Ann.

Shelf life… I thought butter could still go bad. If you say so, though, I'm all for butter over shortening. I'd prefer things that have a long shelf life without refrigeration, just in case I decide to take them on a longer trip, or stockpile them for a through-hike.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, butter can go bad. In the cool country of Nepal, the locals use clarified yak butter called Ghee. It keeps.

Some margarine is kind of unhealthy, but I switched over to other types without the trans-fats.

For a general purpose cooking ingredient on the trail, I just carry olive oil.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If you look around you can find bar recipes that do not call for eggs and use vegetable oil….which are healthier in the long run.

Any fat – be it butter, shortening or oil can go rancid in storage though. Homemade bars are perishable – this is one area where commercial can be better. They don't taste anywhere as good but have long shelf lives. Homemade bars will eventually go stale no matter how packaged and in hot weather…..can grow mold. So be careful in adding them to bounce boxes or long term packaging for drop shipping. If though you have a loved one making them and shipping the same day for quick pickup not so much of an issue!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools