Topic

Bad Behavior

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Bad Behavior

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

" I shouldn't of said that "forgive me"."

Only if you forgive me for starting it. ;-)

Dylan Skola
    BPL Member

@phageghost

Locale: Southern California

>NOVEMBER SURF

Always good to see another Jeffers fan. No one has topped that craggy tower of words . . .

I guess I'm lucky to not have any stories of outrageous acts of disrespect, but I have seen plenty of little ones that make you grit your teeth and hope to hike out of (usually limited) range of the abusers.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

It was hard to believe that no one else even responded to November Surf. But BPL doesn't seem to get poetry. a kind of different take on " No ideas but in things".I hope it isn't " You had the experience , but missed the meaning." At least one other party knew Edward Abbey. Have you seen the film " Lonely are the Brave" At StageVu . Thanks for your comment. Craggy in every sense .

a b

@ice-axe

While i was hiking the Gila river on the CDT alternate last May, I noticed some smoke upriver. It surprised me cause I hadn't seen anyone all that day. As I continued to make crossing after crossing I noticed the smoke had become a huge billowing cloud. I was pis#ed cause I thought: "What idiot would make a bonfire like that here in the Gila?".
    As i rounded the last bend I came upon and entire "island" in the river ablaze. Flames were on the ground, in the trees, everywhere.
    Reaching the edge of the island I looked into the smoke and there is a man standing there holding a shotgun, gear and dry bags were scattered everywhere. He had a yellow jacket on and this caused me to ask if this is a controlled burn? (stupid of me but anyway)
    He responded: "Hell no! My kids were starting the campfire and it got out of control." (No sh#t!)
    I looked around and couldn't see any kids. Then he starts yelling into the fire and sure enough a boy and a girl around the age of 10 came running out. He explained that he sent them to go and try to put out the flames.(I am not kidding!)
    The little boy saw the PCT and CDTS patches sewn on my Exodus pack and he asked me if i was a Ranger.
    For a moment I thought about it.. looked at the shotgun in the mans hand and decided better how to respond to that question. It was a strange and awkward moment!
    That was the only humorous thing about the situation.
    At this point 50 yards of this 200 yard island are engulfed. I could not get within 10 feet of the nearest flames without the heat burning my skin and this guy sent his kids in there?!
    I told him to gather up his gear and get his kids into their boat and get the heck of this island cause there is nothing we can do.(No cell signal to call FS)
    The island was bounded by the rock walls of the Gila canyon and I figured it would burn itself out anyways since the water level had only dropped a week earlier.
    When i left they were pulling their gear out to the edge of the island well away from the flames(Yes i offered to help)
    I hiked on up river late that night to escape the smoke and it was not until Pietown that i heard another thing about it.
    Jack Beanstalk, Chief Chihuahua, and Sarong passed that island the next morning and the fire was out but everything was a smouldering, charcoal mess.
    The most amazing thing.. The guy and his kids camped on the sand of that burning island that night!
    I am going to give them the benefit of a doubt and accept it was an accident(although young children should not be the ones to make the fire and certainly not try and put out a forest fire!).. but why the heck did he value his shotgun over the welfare of his kids?
    That was by far the most surreal "Bad behavior" story of the CDT last year.

Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains

Was camping on top of Big Bald in the Roan Highlands on the AT, and some dude on an ATV was driving all over the mountain, about 10-15 yards from my tarp.

I didn't say anything to him, but was surprised.

Rod Braithwaite
    BPL Member

@rodo

Locale: Salish Seashore

Not quite a hiking tale, but hopefully close enough. Moose Mountain ice cave in the Canadian Rockies, our group had spent about 3 hours going in, then turned around to exit. About an hour along the return route we met three teen boys, high on LSD, burning pieces of their clothing for light – because they had broken their one and only flashlight. No other parties in the cave, zero chance they could have found their way out, not sure if anyone knew they were in there, very high chance of fatal hypothermia in an ice cave.

Room temperature IQ's, even for teen boys, IMO.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

God, so much. And I've been guilty in the past, luckily theres always been great people to show me the correct way to do things.

I once walked two miles in the dark (each way) to deposit food in a car because a group of 12 campers didnt bring a bag, rope, or a can. I've filled up peoples nalgenes who didnt bring pumps or pills (and some who didnt even know to filter water in the first place!) Countless times Ive stopped people from killing mosquitos or moths or even larger animals. And I'm most proud of taking over an hour to clean up the Delaware River one morning while everyone was still sleeping. Golden rule, baby.

Steve Quinne

@outdoorman

Locale: Norhtern California

Little late on the the thread but this is too funny ( well this is NOT funny )

camping up somewhere in the high sierras I am pulling some water from the river. I look up and there is this KID peeing in the middle of the river .. I poured out my water

The other nasty thing , my wife and I were camping in a remote section of Trinity alps
    people were across the river , they began shooting over our heads into the tress behind me . when in this area i usually do pack my 45 … I had and began shooting back at them
    The shooting stopped instantly and I actually got an apology. My gun was put back and never to shot again that trip … When I am out in the wilderness I DONT target shoot , that is so messed up .. I have a handful of other stories but those are the ones that stick out.. have fun !!

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

The one that comes to mind for me is finding Jim Beam and Southern Comfort bottles, scorched and broken, in a makeshift fire ring up at the top of Lyell Canyon in Yosemite. It was recombinant bad behavior: fire ring, high altitude boozing, not carrying out their own stuff and breaking glass in the outback. Just fantastic.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I was out for the weekend in a wilderness, dismantled a firering, too close to the lake. A few hours later, along comes 3-4 people, dragging a wheeled ice chest down the trail to the lake. They reassemble the firering, set up their tent too close to the lake and the next morning when I leave, they had left tp 10' from their tent and too close to the lake. I paused a second, shook my head, muttered to myself and continued out, following the wheel marks left by the ice chest.

Speaking of fire conditions, in the same area and lake in N CA, I mentioned to some "churchy" people that campfires were not allowed at the time due to fire restrictions. They said they always had a fire when they went camping and if the Ranger came by, they would tell him I was not part of it. Really? A mandatory large fine.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Was the main problem the wheeled ice chest or something else?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I did not conduct a search, the tp was bad enough.

sheila o
    BPL Member

@bumpass

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /

@ Duane, not sure what you meant by some "churchy" people?

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I'm a churchy guy. Does that give me the right to ignore a variety of legal, ethical and moral restrictions?

No one quicker than Jesus Christ in pointing out hypocrisy. If that Duane's point then God bless him.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

+2 to what Cola said. I would have suggested they read Romans 13 (which is about obeying the government–and the government in question was the Roman Empire under Nero).

sheila o
    BPL Member

@bumpass

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /

Mary, Cola…Agreed. No one is above the fire law/restrictions for a variety of legal, ethical and moral restrictions as Cola said. Just trying to understand Duane's word choice. Cheers! :)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"I'm a churchy guy. Does that give me the right to ignore a variety of legal, ethical and moral restrictions?"

Cola, the logic of this statement escapes me completely… ???

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thank you Cola. Not only was the law being broken, (letter posted at TH), a poor choice to have a campfire in high fire danger situation because it is a tradition to do so. They were nice people, just set in their ways to go ahead against wisdom and awareness of local conditions. They can go home, I live in the mountains, I'd have to look at a burned over area for years.

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools