Topic

1.5oz Cuben Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1.5oz Cuben Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

1.5oz Cuben Pack

The pack is 5.5″ x 11″ x 18″ with two side pockets. I expect to use this pack for a Sub 2 pound hike in October.

I used two different weight Cuben Fibers. The more or less standard light product CTO.3K.08 which is about 0.35 ounce per sq yard and CTO.3HBK.08 (4 cord) and about 0.6 ounce per sq yard. You can tell the difference in the pictures. The lower part of the pack, pack straps and reinforced areas are the heavier fiber.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hey Bill, looks good, but shouldn’t you be getting your beauty rest about now? ;-)

Seriously though, nice job on the pack.

Dwight

Valentin Zill

@valentin-zill

Locale: Europe

That pack is wicked!!! Would you send me the pattern?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Valentin,

Sorry, I don’t do patterns.

A pack is just a box shape made to what ever size I/you need or want. I make a full size cardboard mockup. I add everything to the mockup such as side pockets, reinforcement spots, any loops I might want etc. When I get it like I want my real pack to be I take the mockup apart and use the pieces for my pattern.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Bill another beautiful project. When can we expect a photo of you wearing Cuben poncho with Cuben pack. You’re going to look like your going on some mission to space rather than a hike with all that “sciency” looking material.

Are the little black tabs along the inside corners for running a compression cord through? Also, how did you determine volume to account for what you need to carry, or did you simply already know your volume requirements from your previous packs?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Sam,
    Thanks,

I just finished the pack late last night and today I have been trying to clean up and do a long walk. We are having a really nice day at 68 degrees. I will take some pictures wearing the pack and my ponchosometime this week.

Yes, the black tabs are for running a compression cord.

This pack is for my Sub 2-lb, Sub 3-lb and Sub 4-lb gear list. I laid out everything that might need to go into the Sub 2-lb pack and made a cardboard box to us as a guide. I also want to use the pack for a Sub 3-lb and Sub 4-lb gear list if possible so I made it a little larger. I then made 4 pack bags of different sizes out of Wally World $ a yard stuff. The mockup for this pack seemed to be about the right size. The compression cords will give me a lot of options. I have also added a way to attach something like a small water bottle to each shoulder strap.

Paul Kaercher

@paulkaercher

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Nice job Bill. I know you are not a fan of the sweaty back syndrome with frameless packs in hot weather. Will this pack primarily be used in cool weather?
    Do you have a plan for ventilation in hot weather?
    Will this pack fit on one of your lightweight frames?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your comment.

You are correct that I do like the external frame. It is very hard to avoid the ” sweaty back syndrome” with the frameless or internal style pack. It is just hard to make an external frame and pack bag light enough for a Sub 2-lb gear list for use during cooler weather.

I just came back from a 2 mile walk with about 8 pounds in my new pack. It will workout OK as my eating plan is to stop every 90 minutes and eat about 280 calories. This eating schedule will give me a bunch of short breaks and let my back dry out if necessary during my hiking day.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I have added a couple new features to my new Cuben pack. I added a sternum strap and attached 4 small “D” rings to the webbing. I also added a small plastic fitting to the bottom end of the webbing for the shoulder straps (shows up white in the picture. I have a small piece of cord attached to each fitting so I can use it like a “Hip-String” belt if I need to.

The pictures show the pack with 9 pounds in it.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Addition of the sternum and strap as well as the minimal (maybe too minimal?) waist belt was a good idea, Bill.

I like having a sternum strap on pretty much any pack that I’m carrying more than a couple pounds in. What about the hip-cord you added – do you think it will have much effect?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Sam,

I agree about the sternum strap. I have a couple more things I want to change on the pack and will make a new one when I get back from my hike. One thing I have planned is to lower the sternum strap. For me it is just about to high up. That changes with a lighter load and if I can I would like to make one that will slide up or down a little.

My Hip-String – I have walked about 10 miles using it. With a pack this light (my expected hike pack load is between 7 and 8 pounds) I thought I wanted a way to control any movement at the bottom of the pack. It adds almost no extra weight and I like it tied better than lose. I have done the same thing to my slightly modified G6. My G6 is under 3 ounce. It has several modifications and I have a few more planned.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools