Topic

Serious miles, serious feet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Serious miles, serious feet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've seen that the #1 problem of backpackers on our Sierra Club trips is sore &/or blistered feet. Often I'm "Dr. Goodfoot" when it comes to serious blisters B/C I carry the community 1st aid kit & have Outdoor Emergency Care training (ski patroller).

The two best things for prevention of these problems are:

1. comfortable shoes or boots that are broken in and have good footbeds

2. well conditioned feet that have toughened soles from miles and miles of walking

A custom fit footbed (insole) seems to help most of all when conditioning feet. If anything it reduces the amount of foot conditioning needed by 1/4.

And the #2 complaint seemd to be sore shoulders. All I can say is be sure to carry a daypack of about 15 lbs. on conditioning hikes. A good 10 mile hike is necessary once a week for several weeks before the backpacking trip of 5 to 8 days. Plus a few 5 mile hikes during the week also help a lot to maintain foot sole toughness.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

I will agree that feet over anything seem to be mileage limitation. The book "Fixing your feet" by John Vonof has a lot of good foot tips related to backpacking.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Anywhere here try it/use it?

http://www.tuffoot.com/about/humans.htm

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Thanks guys for the links.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools