Topic

The Lycian Way, Turkey

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips The Lycian Way, Turkey

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I'm planning a 2 or 3-week walk of the Lycian Way in Turkey from the middle of February. Already reserved the plane ticket. Has anyone here done the trail? Any advice?

I'm mostly worried about food and way finding. As a diabetic the possible lack of access to food combined with insulin injections can be life-threatening. As long as food is readily available I'll be fine.

A lot of people have written that it is very easy to get lost because the way markers change and there are almost no maps available. I'll be bringing my GPS, but as I'm still very shaky about using it, this is a concern.

The weather at this time of the year is supposed to be the best for the walk, though the higher peaks will often have snow (not too big of a worry). The lower parts of the walk will be spring. Can anyone recommend the type of clothing I should bring for the Lycian Way walk and for Turkey in general at this time of year? Does is get really cold?

This site,Trekking Turkey, by the creator of the trail, Kate Clow, goes into a lot of detail about the walk. I've already ordered her book.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

There was a gal here about a year/year-and-a-half ago who did it, Hartley. Let me see if I can find her posts. She put her trip up on her blog to which she posted a link here.

HJ

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Jim, thanks for the links. I've read both her blog and the thread and also posted an email to her. Her blog is a good read. Gave a very strong sense of what the trail is like.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

You're welcome, Miguel. Thanks for your help pre my trip to Japan.

HJ

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

I never did ask you how that went. Where did you end up going and how did you like it?

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Miguel, glad you found somewhere to go.

Make sure you do a trip report when you get back. I've always wanted to go to Turkey and thanks to you for posting the link, this trip is going to be high on my list.

Are you taking any food with you?

I'm just in the process of dehydrating my meals. I've decided to head down to Patagonia (TDP and Los Glaciares), and plan on eating at the Refugios, but thought I'd bring some stew etc. Doesn't weigh much, add hot water/place in cozy.

I'm hoping they don't take the food away at the border.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools