Topic

convert Evernew pan to oven

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition convert Evernew pan to oven

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bill king
    Spectator

@darto501

Here's ECA251 Evernew Titanium .6 Liter UltraLight Pot, also called pot #1.
    And one of the Norpro Nonstick Mini Pie Pan Set of 4, item # 3911.pot, pot lid, and pan

Place the Norpro mini pan in the Evernew pot and it fits like a glove suspended about 3/4" I think above the bottom of the pan. Just right for baking.Pan in the pot

The lid will now fit over the pot and pan exactly as if the pan was not in there, a perfect fit.

Here's what the packaged set of 4 minipans look like in the store:package of 4 pans

Norpro pan set on amazon, about 10 dollars:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7A5PS/ref=oss_product

I just got this tonight and havn't baked yet, but it all looks like it would work as well as a some of those expensive backpack baking setups.

Size of the minipans? Well here's what it says on the package back "Nonstick Ideal for baking individual pies, quiches, and tarts. 5" x 1-1/4" // 13 cm x 3 cm. Fits most toaster ovens, use one 9" pie recipie to fill all four pans".

The point is how well the minipans fit into the Evernew pot, perfect!
    Wish I knew of a minipan that fits a bigger Evernew?????

bill king
    Spectator

@darto501

And here's the Evernew with Norpro nonstick pan inside, the lid as you see fits as if the pan was not in there…pan inside pot

Wallace Hunter
    Spectator

@jeepingetowah

Locale: South Central

What is the weight? What type of method do you plan on baking with? Dry or Steam? What types of items do you plan on baking? Please involve pics, that would be terrific. I did a steam bake on my blog… you can check out my vid on that one in case you wanted a solution for the larger Evernew. I use the 1.3 liter type.

Caldera Ti Tri 1.3 Evernew Steam Baking

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just put a pot inside a pot with small rocks under it. Works everytime for cornbread or fresh picked blueberry pie.

I would think that with the above pictured setup that it wouldn't get all that hot as said "pie" plate is not surrounded by heat, rather it is only 1 sided = REALLY long cooking time, instead of; long cooking time.

How does the top crust come out? Hmm… baked mac and cheese with your setup should work great though!

bill king
    Spectator

@darto501

Hey, Wallace. Do you know the make and model of pop up silicone dish you were using in your video with the 1.3 L Evernew? Buying of the net cannot know how to get the best size of a dish that collapses like that one.

Everynew pot + lid 99 grams = 3.5 ounces.
    Norpro pan 47 grams = 1.7 ounce.
    Hopefully will have time to try this for first time over the weekend.

I bought the Norpro pans because it has collar around the top. Was going to drill 4 tiny holes in collar for four 1/16 inch stainless necklass chains thru the holes to suspend the pan hanging inside 1.3 L Evernew. But got the pan Thursday and to my surprise it fit 0.6 pot Evernew perfectly, collar holds it suspended without chains. I am thinking a water/steam method will work better, although some have baked suspended with chains with no water.

The parchment paper worked well in Wallace's video with a steaming oven. But parch paper can catch fire in a dry oven according to warnings on the package.

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

This is one of by favorite camping activities.

1.Steam baking: I use a microwave brownie mix bowl inside my .9 ti pot. Rocks in the pot provide stand off distance and water level to just coer the rocks. I have it worked out for my pepsi alcohol stove to die out at the right time, and then the pot goes into a cozy for 15 – 20 minutes to finish.
    I have had good luck with the sea to summit silicone cup as well, just don't fully expand it. This method uses the normal items in my cook kit.

2. Dry baking: This is my preferd method. I like the texture better, and the relaxing around a fire as it bakes. For 1 – 2 people, the disposable mini loaf pan work great as a dutch oven. I use rocks, or small logs to make a stand off distance, and them rake coals between them. Coals on the top pan ensure an even & brown top. I made myog tongs to lift the hot coals. a little oil to coat the bottom pan with the mix in it and the loaf pops right out after it has cooled.
    The 2 loaf pans do not weigh anything and are really useful for other cooking duties. I like to use this method when on longer hikes, as it affords so real homemade tasting treats to lift my spirits. It is also well recieved by friends who are new to hiking and like the treat after a day of walking and the fun for them has wained a bit.

Regards,
    John

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Thanks for turning me on to the Norpro folks! I just ordered the 12 inch stir fry pan, hoping it will be light enough to take on the trail (if not, oh well, I can always use another pan in my kitchen).

bill king
    Spectator

@darto501

I went ahead and tried baking using the simple method of dropping a norpro pan into an Evernew.

Some good things about the Norpro.

1) This Norpro (so far) is best nonstick I've seen, nothing sticks at all. However only used a dozen times, may not last.

2) At 4 pans for $10 is cheap enough.

3) Stores snug inside the 0.6 Evernew pot.

4) Weighs only about 1.5 ounces.

To test using the 0.6 Evernew ultralight ECA251 pot & lid I am doing muffins. These we make several times a week at home in the kitchen oven so we know what how they are supposed to turn out when baked right.

On the electric kitchen toaster oven we use 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Most trail baking is short time baking. I'm using muffins as the test because it will be a difficult test. If the pack oven can do these it should also easily do quicker baking chores.

1) First we tried on kitchen range burner, 2) then on our fave pack stove the Optimus 11 which is just an early version of the Optimus Nova, a typical MSR type. These types stoves all simmer well at very low heat.batter in pan

The muffin in the Norpro pan inside the EvernewHeat setting

Low HeatBaked biscuit

Removing the biscuit at 30 minutes, its too lightly baked but the texture is good, fluffy and dry, it raised up as it is supposed to with baking powder, and has the same texture on top, middle, and bottom.medium high temp

Higher heat and increasing cook time to 40 minutes

cooked longer

Darker, very good biscuit! Same time to cook in pan as in electric toaster oven.

Next the Optimus pack stove, I don't have the legs to the stove so I must use a alum windscreen to hold the pot :(optimus 11 evernew 0.6 norpro 5" non stickbiscuit on Optimus

Turned out great, as good as using the packing baker on the stove burner.texture

The texture seen with muffin torn in two.

In all these 3 tests was done with steam cooking. Water level started at 300 ML and after baking was at 200ML in test 1, about 90 ML test 2, and 200 ML test 3 with the Optimus 11 pack stove. So it doesn't boil out all the water even after 40 minutes. To set the boil level with the pack stove I kept heat low so small amount of steam was coming off, a very light boil, barely could hear it make a boiling noise.

OK, well it works well. Only thing it takes to make it is buy the pan and drop into the Evernew pot and store it there for baking chores.

To some extent this takes longer than a kitchen oven because as you see the biscuit isn't dark as normal, it would take longer to bake it a more golden brown :(

At home we do the recipe normally it fills a standard size 6 muffin pan. This baking test here was at 1/4 the recipe size, equal to only 1-1/2 regular size muffins. Not exactly a large meal :(

Despite these negatives the system does bake very well, makes a nice even biscuit!

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Well done. I like your set up, and thanks for sharing your experiments. Those results are very nice.
    Regards,
    John

bill king
    Spectator

@darto501

Thanks. I can't quite visualize your dry heat arrangement without a diagram :).
    The two loaf pans face each other, but are separated?

The Evernew pour spout provides the channel for steam out the pot into the top pan chamber and then out into the air. It's small enough that all this takes enough time so the top bakes well.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

The muffin looks good. I don't think it is so much the time being different that prevents the muffin from being darker but moreso the fact that you are steam baking. That usually prevents baked goods from getting the golden crust that you get from a regular oven or an Outback Oven Ultralite model.

bill king
    Spectator

@darto501

Thanks, I didn't know that. I went google advanced search on "outback oven ultralight" only for domain http://www.backpackinglight.com/

Over 50 hits! Looks like I got reading to do… :)

EDIT: uh oh, on the first OO-UL thread I read "On Ti? I wouldn't but that is my opinion. It just warps too easy and you are dry baking which could lead to that happening." My (expensive) little pot is Titanium. If (when) I get a bigger pot maybe it should not be Ti, in case I move up to the OutbackO UltraL.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I have dry baked in my Vargo/Evernew 1.3 without problems. Nicer color now, and still pretty flat on the bottom.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

When it comes to having a hot baked goodie while in the wilds most people don't care if it is dry baked or steam baked. Both taste great. Do what is easiest! Both methods produce nice results.

bill king
    Spectator

@darto501

Think I'll stick to this method for now. But its only good for 1 person for lite lunch! But the smaller Outback Oven seems like a better system as I learned here. And thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools