Topic

Lamp diffuser

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Lamp diffuser

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Clymer

@jordanclymer

Locale: The Columbia Gorge

Hi everyone,

I have been a lurker on these forums for several months. I decided I would make a diy post as my introduction. I made a really simple, cheap, and light diffuser to help convert a bright headlamp into a table lamp for creating ambient light that isn't so direct and blinding. This is great for lighting up a tent, or as a light source for playing cards, ect.

A before and after shot of my diffuser in action.
    Before the diffuser. Notice how bright and glaring the lamp is.
    After using the diffuser, the light is more scattered and indirect.

So the list of materials needed are:
    1- headlamp
    1- semi-opaque milk/juice jug
    2- small pieces of sticky sided velcro
    1- pair of scissors
    1- small paring/steak knife (optional)
    Items for making the diffuser.

First, rinse out the milk jug. Then, using the knife, cut out a strip of plastic. Try to find the flattest portion plastic.
    Cut out a strip from the jug.

Now roughly shape the piece of plastic to a rectangle shape. Keep it long enough to reach across the length of the lamp.
    Make sure the piece is long enough to reach across both ends of the lamp.

Round off the edges to make sure it is smooth so you don't risk cutting/puncturing anything with the corners.
    Round the edges.

Now take the velcro and cut it into two small squares.
    sticky sided velcro.

Peel off the backing for the fuzzy side and attach it to the lamp. One tab on each side.
    Velcro on the side of the lamp.

Now put the hook side of the velcro onto the fuzzy side thats on the lamp. Before peeling the backing, do a mock up with the plastic to make sure it is in the right position. Then peel off the backing and adhere it to the plastic. The reason you want the hook side on the plastic is so you can secure it on to other things. I attach mine to the elastic headband.
    Hook side of velcro.

It should look roughly like this.
    Top view
    Side view.

The weight is nearly negligible, and the added function for a headlamp makes this modification worthwhile. Hope this is useful for someone here. =)

Cheers,
    Jordan

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Try sanding (lightly) the inside part . Worked for me.(extra diffusion)
    Franco

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Thanks Jordan!

I've been thinking lately where I could find an opaque bottle to suspend a disposable LED keylight in to use in my hammock for reading. Now I think the answer is not a bottle but like what you did with a sheet of material. Appreciate it!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Nice! I do the same thing with my fenix e01 flashlight and a white chapstick cap. Makes an excellent lantern at 1oz total weight. But I like your method…I can probably leave the e01 at home now since my headlamp will be multi usechap

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools