Topic

Flip Video

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Flip Video

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

I am thinking about getting a FLIP video camera or something like it for my JMT thru hike this summer (along with other trips and kid events, etc). I was wondering if you are limited to the 2 hours of footage or if you can add an SD card to add to the memory on these cameras? I apologize for the pretty elementary question, I am clueless when it comes to technology.

Thanks in advance
    Kris

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

I have the Zi8 and you can record up to 32GB of memory and 10hours of video, and I like the features and the quality. It gets pretty solid reviews as well. Their Playsport models are ruggedized and waterproof, so those may make a more compelling choice.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"10hours of film"

What kind of film does it use?

–B.G.–

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

I meant video. :)

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Kris, I am getting the same camera for my JMT trip too. At Costco it is $166 right now. It has 8 gigs of memory and if it is like the first generation one that I have, then no, you cannot alter the camera. 2 hours should be plenty to put together for a little film about your trip

Morse Jeffers
    BPL Member

@morse

I have the Flip Ultra HD (mp4) which I bought at Costco recently. I'm happy with the video quality and simplicity of use. However, I just accumulated 200 video clips totaling 2-hours and want to edit the video down to about 30 minutes and burn to a DVD.

I am finding that acquiring the video is the easy part while editing the clips is becoming a real pain. If you stray from the free provided software (very basic) you get into video formats, codecs and compatability issues.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a useable workflow to take flip video and edit it into a simple final product? I want to rearrange clips, shorten clips, remove parts of clips and then string it all back together. I'm using the trial version of Sony Vegas but it seems to have the same learning curve as Photoshop.

If you just take short simple clips for youtube then it may be user friendly but I was hoping to do more. Video files are very large compared to my still photos.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

hi
    Maybe Windows Movie Maker will do what you want.
    Here are some suggestions on how to get the Flip Codec to work on MM :
    http://edte.ch/blog/2009/01/27/solving-the-flip-video-codec-problem/
    http://tomeppy.wordpress.com/2009/01/04/flip-video-windows-movie-maker/

An easier editing programme than Vegas is Pinnacle Studio.
    Many versions around. You will need to do a google search to find the compatibility between your Flip and a particular version. (14 is the latest )
    Franco

Bryant Burton
    BPL Member

@moabrocks

I have the kodak playsport and its pretty tough and take great outdoor video and stills. Inside you need more light to keep it from getting too grainy. I may have to trade up to the ATC9K … a little more waterproof and better form factor as helmet-cam.

– Bryant

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Buy a Mac. Plug your camera into it. Load it into iMovie. Edit away. Burn to DVD with iDVD.

Fun.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools