Topic

Sixty lakes basin – Gardiner basin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Sixty lakes basin – Gardiner basin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Has anyone gone from sixty lakes basin to gardiner basin? If so can you discribe your route? The more detail the better. Also looking for some photo's.

Thanks

Ed Engel

@doorknob

Locale: West of what you think is west

You could also ask at the High Sierra Topix board (they also have very informative members).

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Are you planning on going over 60 Lakes Col. From what I have heard it is pretty straightforward. How far are you going into Gardiner Basin??. You can do a loop, exiting at Gardiner Pass and back east to Charlotte Lake

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Sorry, I have no photos and no map on hand, but I do remember my trip into Gardiner from 60 Lakes from a trip about 10 years ago.

Navigationally, it was *very* easy. It was easy to find the correct 60 Lakes Basin lake on the use trail, and then the col to Gardiner, situated right behind and to the west of that lake.

Technically, it was Class 2-3 with some sections that might be tricky for someone with a big pack. If you have a light pack you'll be just fine. I recall it was easy to pick out the route just by eyeballing from the lake; no need for special instructions.

– Elizabeth

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I am thinking of spending a day in the Sixty Lakes Basin, the following day head over the King Spur at the southern most lake in Sixty Lakes Basin. Spend a day exploring Gardiner Basin working North West along the basin.
    From here is where I'm looking for advice. I want to hike north to Woods Creek. There are two drainages just north of Gardiner Basin, if feasible I would like to get over the ridge just west of Mt. Clarence King, and then follow the river out to Castle Domes Meadow.
    Is anyone familiar with this area?

Bryan Allen

@bryanlallen

Did a loop through Gardiner Basin in 2008. We approached from the west and south via Gardiner Pass and exited the basin via 60 Lakes Col. A description of that trip is at: http://sites.google.com/site/bryanlallen/gardinerbasin2008

All photos from that trip are at: http://bryanlallen.smugmug.com/Nature/Gardiner-Basin-2008/5831781_DA5hh#361671803_gdgY8 Hopefully some will be helpful.

I have no direct experience with hiking north out of Gardiner Basin, but the R.J. Secor book "The High Sierra: Peaks, Passes, and Trails" is a very valuable resource; I recommend getting a copy. On P. 153 of my copy (later editions are probably a bit different) he describes "King Col", a class 2 route 1.0 mile west of Mt. Clarence King that traverses the divide on the north side of Gardiner Basin. He points out that the col has also been referred to as Moulthrop Pass. The major difficulty described is at the north end of the route crossing Woods Creek.

Happy mountaineering!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Joel good luck crossing the river to get to Castle Dome's. It has been done, but it is quite tricky. I have not done that one myself, but I have heard that it is pretty difficult

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools