Topic

which pad setup would be warmer?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking which pad setup would be warmer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

Im going car camping in the mountains this weekend to see how some gear will hold up and to see how warm Id be with my current gear. Anyhow I was wondering which pad setup I should use. I have a POE thermo 6 2/3 length with my backpack at my feet then a a blue ccf pad on top of it all. Or take a wide blue ccf pad and a regular blue ccf on top. I think the thermo is supposed to have a higher r value then the ccf if I remember correctly but since its not a full length pad I wasn't sure how my legs would feel with my pack and pad underneath. My pack usually does a good job at keeping my legs warm but dont know how it would be in winter. Oh and Im expecting to see lows close to 0*.

Thanks for your help.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

if you're car camping, I say bring it all :) 0 is getting down there, no sense in being miserable- try the POE/ccf combo, if you get too cool add another ccf, that way you'll no for certain next time

imo car camping is the perfect experiment setting (as is the backyard) :)

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

Just wanted to let you know I used the 2/3 length pac thermo 6, backpack at my feet with a 2ft length sit pad on top then another full length pad on top of it all. It stayed completely warm but the weather only got down to high teens I believe.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools