Topic

Gaiter Instep Cordlock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Gaiter Instep Cordlock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I like the simplicity of pull-on gaiters but have always struggled to get the instep cord the perfect length – long enough to go underneath the heel of my shoe and then to the instep, but tight enough to keep the snow out. Even with elastic shockcord I couldn't get it right. And if I expected to use the gaiter on a different shoe all bets were off.

So after reinventing this wheel ;-) I thought I'd share, to spare…

GaiterCordlock
    Just add a cordlock to whatever you use for an instep cord. The eyelet or loop will serve as the stop.

GaiterOn

Leave the cord long enough to ease getting it on, then pull it tight. Finally, tuck it up inside the gaiter to protect it, and to keep from getting it snagged.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The simple things are often the most useful, and the one's that seem to escape us too easily!

Thanks for sharing.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Cool idea Greg. I like that. Might want to put the cord through a piece of tubular webbing as a protection sleeve.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Finding an instep cord that can take the abuse is a never ending experiment in your environment and style.

My favorite so far is the small diameter, coated, braided yellow stuff commonly used in bear bagging. For me, on the dry rocky trails of the Winds of Wyoming, and the CT, and CDT in Colorado, it lasts the longest. And it is easy to take a bunch of spares, as they don't take much room.

The big stuff in the photos is yet another test.

YMMV

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Greg what material did you use or is this just a modification to a pair you already had?

They kinda look like MLD superlights…

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

James,
    They "were" Superlites. They've been hacked a bit, so I hesitate to identify them out respect to MLD. They are a great piece of UL gear.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools