Topic

Hello/Stick’s Blog

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Hello/Stick’s Blog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Hey everybody. I have kind of lurked around here for a while and finally signed up a few days ago. (I will eventually sign up as a member, but I sure do enjoy buying gear still so it is a tough decision to make…) Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself a little and post the link to my own blog.

Almost 2 years ago now I was bite by the backpacking bug. While on a tram up to Ober Gatlinburg I heard about the LeConte Lodge in which you hike to and stay the night. I found it to be a very interesting thing and decided I wanted to try it. Next thing I was standing in the Sugarlands visitor center looking down at the huge 3D topo map and my brain started soaking it all in right there…

When my wife and I came home I did a little internet research and stumbled upon the AT. It struck a nerve and I decided that one day I will thru hike that trail. Continuing on my bakcpacking investigation I came across the Backpacker.com forums and then it only got worse…

I bought some gear for myself, which at the time I thought I was really dropping some $$$ and getting technical. (Little did I know…) As time went on I learned a little and equipped my wife a little better than myself (which is good because she is so much smaller than me… )

We stepped on the approach trail to the AT at the Amicalola Falls State Park Visitor Center in September 2009. My pack weighed just over 56 pounds and hers weighed 31 pounds. We hiked 40 miles and 4 days to Neels Gap and it was awesome!

Since then, I have been glued to forums, blogs, and other gear/backpacking sites, and I have stood on top of Mt LeConte 3 times last year. Also, I have upgraded (lightened) much of my gear but still have some to go. Currently, my winter set up (for the Southeast ~ Temps to around 5 to 10 F) weighs just under 15 pounds for everything except consumables (food, water & fuel). My 3 season setup is 13.5 but I plan on shaving up to 3 more pounds off of that soon. So, I am getting to my sweet spot.

So, now I am here.

I also started a blog last April that I share some of my backpacking trips as well as some of my gear reviews on. I have found the blogging world to be very exciting and I have met a few people through my blogs as well as others. Now I figured I would share it on here. So, I will post the link at the bottom of the page (as well it can be found on my profile page too).

Anyway, very cool place here and glad to be a part of it…

http://stick13.wordpress.com/

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Chad Poindexter … Chad Poindexter … where have I heard that name?

I remember, backpackgeartest.org

Nice getting out with your son

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

That's me. Sometimes my son or my wife go along with me, just depending on school/work schedules. They both enjoy it though which is great.

And yes I signed up at BGT about a year or so ago. I have a feeling there is probably a few more from BGT here too…

Thanks for checking out my site Jerry and good to meet you on here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools