Topic

Looking for a scrap of Thru-Hiker’s 3D Mesh

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Looking for a scrap of Thru-Hiker’s 3D Mesh

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steve Small

@lustreking

I'm interested in using it for a pack, but I have no idea how it works. I'd like to see if I could get a small scrap so I can decide if, and how, I want to use it. I've emailed Thru-Hiker a couple days ago to see if the sold samples, but I haven't heard back yet.

Does anybody have any pieces left over from a project?

David Eastwood

@easty

Locale: Sierra eastystravels.blogspot.com

Steve – I have some scraps from making shoulder pads. PM me with your address and I'll put some in the mail on Monday. I don't think you'll want to use this as pack material. Its pretty stretchy, but you'll figure it out. Cheers, Easty

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

So, is it good for shoulder straps?

Steve Small

@lustreking

Thanks David, I sent you a pm!

I was thinking about using it for shoulder straps, but I wanted to be able to see a piece before I bought it and found out it wouldn't work.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Just an FYI

The 3d mesh from thru-hiker is much nicer then the 3d mesh from rockywoods.

The thru-hiker stuff is denser and feels like it would last longer. The two look identical, but feel very different in the hand.

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Hey Chris do you recall/know which one weighs more? I have been using the stuff from rockywood, which I think is really nice. But if the mesh from thru-hiker feels better to you I might just have to order some from Thru-hiker. I just wish it was per yard and not per foot! But I would be interested to know which one weighs more.

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

Jerry, I would say yes, but only for a light duty pack.

I made a backpack-style rope bag for my climbing rope using thru hiker 3D mesh in the shoulder straps, stitched right-sides together with a thin coated nylon, then inverted and topstitched (ie no foam inside). I think it works well enough there (carrying ~10 lbs 30 min to the crag) but I wouldn't use it on anything that was going to be carrying much more than that. You might have success at larger loads using XPac and the 3D mesh as above, since the XPac has more structure, but I'm just speculating.

Once you add foam, there's not really any reason to use 3D mesh anymore.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools