Topic

REI Flash Overnighter in Whites, NH

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports REI Flash Overnighter in Whites, NH

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Laurence Daniels
    BPL Member

@gnr

Locale: Boston

After much tinkering with my gear list, I tried out the REI Flash pack for an overnighter in the Whites of NH last weekend.

Here’s what happened…this is the pack fully loaded but not cinched, and it weighed in at 14 lbs. I took a crossword puzzle, my digital camera, a video IPod…all luxuries I could have done without.Fully loaded

I hiked 3 miles and set up camp…camp

I then took a nice easy 11 mile loop in the Pemigewasset Wilderness. After coming to this, the last standing tressel in the wilderness areas of NHtressel

…I crossed this bridge which I love.bridge

The next day, I did close to 24 miles, by far the most I’ve ever been able to do in a day. I travelled above treeline, was on the AT, and got great views of Mt. Washington, and saw many of the NH 4000′ peaks.Guyot

I arrived back at the trailhead after 11 hours of hiking, just after dark. It was a ton of fun, and I was really happy with how the pack fared.

To do it over again, I would forget the GG pad, as I underestimated how warm it would be (45 or so) at night, and it was overkill. I would also have left a pair of sleeping socks and a freeze-dried meal at home…not due to weight but due to the amount of space it took up in the pack. Overall, I was happy with the pack and the trip.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I’ve done several REI Flash over nighters this summer and I’ve never been disappointed. I’m really amazed what I can get in that pack. With careful planning I can get at least 3 days in it, maybe more.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools