Topic

location recommendation needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities location recommendation needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Darwin Roos

@darwin310

Locale: Great Lakes Area

I'm looking to make a job change, but I want to work in a U.S. city that is in an area that has good backpacking (mountains) and kayaking (lakes and class 1-class 4 rivers). I realize this is just a backpacking website, but I thought I would throw in the kayaking part. Do you have any recommendations for such a city that has both in the area?

Darwin
    [email protected]

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Oregon and Washington are not good – rains too much – everyone is depressed

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

there are lots of other issues like cost of living, unemployment levels etc. In CA you could think about someplace like Sacramento. Not as costly as the SF bay area, has the American River not too far away which has some small class iv rapids and the SIERRAS!!

What's your def. of mountains? Do the Appalachians count? If so, I am not sure what city, but the kayaking in WV is really hard to beat.

–Mark

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

^ Jerry is selling his state(s) short. It is beautiful in Oregon and Washington. Those Pacific Northwesterners are just trying to keep it all to themselves especially when it comes to keeping migrants out (I joke).

Darwin Roos

@darwin310

I'm actually looking for any US city with a big university and any mountains for backpacking and good rivers and lakes for kayaking.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

What do you mean by big university?

University of Washington is in Seattle

Portland has Portland State and Oregon Graduate Institute

Eugene has University of Oregon

Corvalis has Oregon State

California has mountains and rivers and Universities – SanFrancisco area, Los Angeles, San Diego

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'm actually looking for any US city with a big university and any mountains for backpacking and good rivers and lakes for kayaking."

I hate to say it because we've got way too many people here already, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better match than Seattle for the criteria you specify.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Denver/Boulder. CU.
    Anchorage, AK. U of A.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Boulder, CO
    Missoula, MT
    Boise, ID
    Albuquerque, NM
    Traverse City, MI
    Portland, ME
    Knoxville, TN
    Asheville, NC

Darwin Roos

@darwin310

The Appalachians are fine. I'm looking for any mountains from 0-14,000 ft. near a large city with a major university.

Darwin Roos

@darwin310

I'm looking for a university that has at least 20,000 students.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Vancouver, become Canadian…. we have jobs, funny looking money and lots to do, with no people around….

requirements,

Must love hockey, and you now drink Tim Horton's coffee…

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'm looking for any mountains from 0-14,000 ft"

I think you'e going to find pretty slim pickins' near the low end of that range. ;)

. ..

@dgowler

I cant say anything bad about vancouver but I'm looking the relocate to calgary. 45 minutes and you've got anything you could ever ask for in the rocky mountains. Trails, rivers, and lakes in the summer. The winters aren't THAT bad, the chinooks take care of a lot of the snow and theres two world class snowboard/skiing mountains within an hour. They have the university of calgary with somewhere around 30 000 students.

I'm actually more of baseball fan, but I second the tim hortons coffee thing. You may also have to get a cowboy hat and a diesel pick up truck with a 6" lift to obtain residency but I think its worth the trade off.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Check out Syracuse, NY.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

only in Edmonton and Calgary, for lifted trucks. some of the malls have adjusted the height markers to allow them in….

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"some of the malls have adjusted the height markers to allow them in…."

Were they clever enough to adjust the ceilings as well?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools