Topic

Differential Cut Info

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Differential Cut Info

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

Anyone know where I can find some info on how it's done? I've searched here, even using Google, and it mainly comes back with reviews on quilts. I finished a sleeping bag yesterday and attempted a diff cut on it. It came out okay for the most part except on one side.

Thanks

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

hammockforums.net.

Been done there many times.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Roger talks about them on his MYOG article.

Edit: You have to be a member to view that though…

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I think in that article Roger is mostly talking about a lateral differential, which he assesses is unnecessary with a quilt. He's absolutely right, it's practically useless.

However, there is an argument for a linear differential in winter type quilts. i.e. a longer top shell piece than bottom piece, will cause the down to loft outward from the inner shell, which can really help to avoid compression or tight fit with normal quilt sizes. Just my opinion.

Anyway, I don't recommend going over 1/2" per baffle. You can get a really puffy quilt by doing a linear differential and slightly shorter baffle height than normal.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools