Topic

Minimalist Footwear Community Site

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Minimalist Footwear Community Site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

I just launched a new minimalist footwear community site called Toe Salad. This is the URL:

http://www.toesalad.com

As many UL backpackers are going lighter and lighter in their footwear choices (especially considering Ray Estrella's latest review), I thought this site may be of interest here.

In celebration of the launch, several manufacturers have donated products for me to give away. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Okay, I went to your site

There's no summary table that includes weights for each shoe

I clicked down to a particular shoe and didn't see a weight there either

Seems like weight is a key spec for minimalist footwear

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

I was shooting for the bare minimum to get things up and running, which at this point is user reviews and forum. Additional features will be coming with time.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Damien,

Found out about this last night from a Runblogger link I think.

I NEED THOSE ADAMS! Just FYI. ;)

Anyway, looks good, I'm interested to see where it ends up. It's hard to find consistent info on the various options out there, and I feel like the blogger/reviewer scene is very deeply rooted in the fad of the "movement", more than being fairly objective and critical of the products. My impression is that 90% of reviewers have basically made up their mind before they get the shoes. Just like pretty much everybody either loves or hates the VFF's and maybe only 10% on either side is based on their actual performance.

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

I really like the Adams, I think they are well on their way to being my favorite shoe.

Yes, there is definitely a lot of bias in the blogosphere. I am hoping we might be able to tease out some good ratings by letting the general public have their say.

I also have plans to get some more metrics in the directory to help compare things in a more scientific way.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Damien, I would LOVE to see forefoot/toebox widths, and maybe even top down pics of the toebox areas. User submitted or otherwise, since most of these shoes can't be found in stores.

That's the piece that makes or breaks for me, there are only a couple of shoes wide enough for full splay of my feet. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Anyway, I'm going to sign up, thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools