Topic

UT Salt Cr or ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips UT Salt Cr or ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Interesting to note that even living in Idaho, with its close proximity to UT, I've never done any hiking in this southern desert. Usually I'm doing river trips in the early spring in the Owyhee Desert. This year is different as I'm hoping to do the SHR later in the season. To that extent, I'm looking to start my walking miles earlier in the year, and build up to my trip.
    I'm looking for some help with regards to feasibility of getting out to the UT desert early, depending on snow etc, and getting in a 4-6 day loop trip. I read about Salt Cr Canyon and I really enjoy viewing the old artifacts and ruins. I also read up on a loop out that backpacker mag had to eliminate the shuttle. Only problem was that it was really only about a 3 day loop.
    What I'd like to know is more about a better loop or pt to pt trip, and some feedback on timing. I would love to get out there as early as March, but don't know if that is doable or not for the area. All feedback would be appreciated, and if anyone else is looking to do a trip similar, we could piggy back shuttle or whatever. thanks!

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

The upper TH for Salt Creek is at 7000', that might be too high for early March, would depend on snow between now and then. Or maybe you weren't going to use upper TH.

Lower elevation trip considerations could include the canyons on the Dirty Devil River, Sams Mesa Box Canyon, Twin Corral Box Canyon, Hatch Canyon, Fiddler Cove, Robbers Roost.

The lower Escalante region would be an option as well.

Of course if you want to stick with Anasazi ruins then you'll want to focus on the Cedar Mesa Canyons like Grand Gulch and then Salt Creek.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools