Topic

AppyTrail Thru-Hike Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists AppyTrail Thru-Hike Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains

Okie dokie so i'll be starting my thru-hike sometime mid march depending on the weather. I've really looked at a lot of different choices and I think I finally have my final setup(sort of) for the hike. Feedback is very very welcome.

btw I'll be traveling solo and i'll be NOBO.
    I do not have a proper scale, only a fishing scale which measures by the ounce, so keep in mind some of these weights could be a little off. However, I'll list the listed online weights of the items that I can find. Weights in parentheses are ones that I am not entirely sure about.

This is my first gear list and I may have done a few things wrong/ put items in wrong categories/ leave items out/ etc.
    I want some feedback because I feel like I'm doing something wrong or leaving something out, thanks!

PACK SYSTEM:

Backpack: Zpacks Zero Large – 6.48oz
    Gossamer Gear Medium Hipbelt Pocket – 0.72oz
    Trash Compactor Bag Liner – (2oz)
    Assortment of small MYOG stuff sacks – (1.5oz)
    Large Dry bag for food storage – 1.7oz

SLEEPING/ SHELTER SYSTEM:

Sleeping Quilt: Katabatic Gear Palisade (6'6") – 18oz
    Sleeping Pad: Trimmed down Prolite Gear EvoPad 1/2" – (10oz) (it is still full length for me)
    Tarp: MLD Cuben Poncho Tarp – 4.4oz
    Guylines – (0.8oz)
    Bivy: Katabatic Gear Pinon Bivy – 7oz
    Stakes: 6 Terra Nova Titanium 2g Skewer Pegs – .42oz (combined with rocks they work very well)
    Groundsheet – Gossamer Gear Polycryo – 1.5oz

CLOTHING:

Visor: GoLite Visor – 1.7oz
    Beanie: MYOG Fleece -(1oz)
    Balaclava: Patagonia R1 – 1.97oz
    Insulated Jacket: Montbell Ex Light – 5.7oz
    LS Shirt: GoLite Wildwood – 4oz
    SS Shirt: ExOfficio Give-N-Go – 5.5oz
    Warm Mitts: MYOG Fleece – (2oz)
    Shell Mitts: OR Endeavor – 3.9oz
    Liner Gloves: Marmot Power Stretch – 1.5oz
    Watch: Swiss Army Watch – (4oz)
    Underwear: ExOffcio Gin-N-Go Boxers – 3oz
    Long Underwear: Very Thin(unsure of brand) – (6oz)
    Running Shorts: Nike – (2oz)
    Convertible Pants: Sherpa Gear – 12.9oz
    2 Pair Injiji Mini Crew socks: (2oz) (1oz each)
    Booties: Goosefeet – 3.6oz
    Shell Booties: 1.9oz
    Emergency Poncho – (2oz)
    Rain Gear will be my MLD poncho/tarp
    Fleece Top: Sherpa Gear – 9.1oz (Not sure if I'll bring it, any thoughts?)

FOOD/ COOKING:

Pot: Evernew 600ml pot – 3.4oz
    Stove: Cat stove – (0.5oz)
    Waterproof Matches – (0.5oz)
    Small Towel/napkin: MSR – (1oz)
    Windscreen/Potstand: MYOG caldera cone – (1oz)
    Caldera Caddy – 2.5oz
    Fuel Bottle: 8oz Squirt Bottle – (1oz)
    Spork: STS – 0.3oz
    Might throw in a small lighter

HYDRATION:

Purification: AquaMira + Bandana – 3oz + (1oz) – 4oz
    Water Storage: 2 2.4L platypus – 2.6oz – 1.3oz each

LIGHTING:

Photon Freedom Micro LED light with hat clip – .22oz

TOILETRIES:

Travel Toothbrush – (0.8oz)
    Dr. Bronners Soap in small bottle – 1.3oz
    Toilet Paper – (0.5oz)
    Chapstick – (0.5oz)
    Floss – (0.2oz)

FIRST AID:

Bandaids -?
    Pills -?
    Gauze -?
    Sports Tape -?
    Duct Tape -?
    Super Glue -?
    All of it is around (2oz)

MISC ITEMS:
    Swiss Army Knife – (1oz)
    Bear bag line – (1oz)
    Rite in Rain Journal – 2.69oz
    Pen – (0.5oz)
    Pencil – (0.5oz)
    Gossamer Gear LT4 adjustable (do not have yet) – 6.8oz
    Still don't have guide book yet
    Also will bring a long a book to read

ELECTRONICS:

Phone: Blackberry – (5oz)
    Camera: (Not Sure yet) – (5-8oz)
    Ipod Shuffle + Headphones – (2oz)
    Wall chargers – (5oz) (tried using a sunlinq solar charger, it wouldn't charge my phone)

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Looks a little light on the insulation side for a mid-March departure. You should be prepared for some 20* or lower nights that time of year. Not sure I'd be comfortable with that quilt/pad/clothing to provide a good night's rest in March/April. Should be great for the rest of your trip though.

Can your Blackberry store music? If it does, you could ditch the Ipod and its charger.

Good luck!

Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

I was a little concerned with the insulation as well. What would you recommend to warm it up? I went on a 1 night trip just north of the smokies a few weeks ago where the temps got down to the twenties or teens, not exactly sure, and I had a pretty chilly night, i was only using a torsopad though, and I was camped on top of a bald at around 4,500ft. I got a little bit of sleep, but wouldn't want to do it again. Oh, and also it was the first year of winter, so the long night didn't help much either. I was thinking that maybe the fleece jacket would help a little bit if I brought it.

I'm not sure if my phone can hold music, probably. But I enjoy listening to music while I fall asleep, and I don't want to kill my phone battery.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

Best way to know if the insulation will work for you is to go give it a whirl. TBH you might lie awake a couple cold nights with what you have but thats all part of the experience. Personally I find I get most of my 'chill' from sleeping on cold ground so I'd suggest another torso length pad to keep your core warm (GG Nightlight or just a Zrest short trimmed way down).

This is what I would suggest from my personal preferences:

Get rid of the underwear and just pick up some running shorts with a liner.

Ditch the convertible pants and just use your shorts and a pair of rain/wind pants. Or just use the convertable pants as your shorts and pants. On that note I would suggest a dedicated rain jacket until you're out of the time frame of cold rain. I like to just use shorts and rain pants, I find this warm enough for me. Shorts do well for me down to 30 degF while hiking. I'd use rain gear until it warms up and then rely on the poncho.

Don't worry about bear bagging. You can stay in established sites in bear country, you'll be required to in the Smokies, and those areas have bear proofing at the sights(GSNP, SNP, Jersey).

Dr. Bronner's, a bandana and some string is all I use for 'first aid.' Also doubles a way to keep your hygiene up.

And you have a TON of water capacity. You'll probably stop carrying water or carrying very once you realize how available it is. I'd suggest 2 1L containers of some sort.

Bivy and Ground Cloth? You might try just the bivy and switch to only the ground cloth once it warms up.
    Don't worry about it too much, after 2 weeks or so you'll have it figured out and will begin sending home everything you don't need.

David Wills

@willspower3

A few things- its going to rain… a lot. Get a rain jacket, (a few sets of dri ducks if i had to do it again), drop the E-poncho. Adds some top layer warmth as well. You can probably drop the fleece mitts and use socks if you really need to. Trade convertible pants for wind pants and a rain skirt or rain pants. + 1 pair of socks. Bring the fleece until the Shenandoahs. May want a bigger pot.
    Biggest thing though, you may want to add a 45* bag to your system that you can send home in VA. It gets really cold. Most people warn for the smokies, but potential for cold is everywhere. Roan Mt was surprisingly cold. Looks good though, good luck

Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a dri ducks rain jacket already that I might consider bringing for the colder months now. I'll probably try to make the wind pants from thru-hiker.com and try those out instead of convertible pants. And I think i'll take your suggestion and just make a really light summer quilt that I can use to add some more warmth for the colder months. Also, instead of bringing a dri ducks jacket, do you think that the poncho/tarp + wind pants and a wind jacket would keep me dry enough around the beginning?

Matthew Zion

@mzion

If you had hiked last year, you wouldn't of needed much. But there is no telling. Last year was really dry and in '09 hikers got like 28/30 days of rain in June. There isn't a piece of rain gear out there that will keep you dry in an all day rain. I suggested the rain gear for the beginning for something mainly for warmth while you're hiking in those all day storms. I like my umbrella to try and stay dry rather than depend on rain gear.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

I think the comment that no piece of raingear out there will keep you dry for a whole day is a bit generalising. Grundens will keep you dry in about any rain mother nature can throw, but probably not a good idea in warm weather and not very good if your producing much heat. This sort of rain gear will keep you dry pretty much no matter what but is heavy and very non breathable.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Which kind of defeats the purpose of attempting to stay dry to begin with.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

how does it defeat the attempt to stay dry?

Matthew Zion

@mzion

While protecting you from rain, not ventilating just causes you to sweat. Which in my opinion defeats the purpose. Sry that came off a little more sarcastic than I was going for.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

IMO … in heavy prolongued rain parts of you will get wet no matter what ,,,

if yr moving fast and hard … youll also get wet from sweat …

the key is to be able to deal with moisture

David Wills

@willspower3

I need to check my calendar, but I think we got 40 days of rain in June. +1 for the umbrella if its a rainy year. Perfect for drizzle, helps your raincoat in heavy rain. Any jacket will eventually fail or soak you in sweat or both.
    I would recommend against a wind shirt. Its only another 3 ounces and tons of extra protection for a rain coat. Inviting your hands and lower arms to be soaked, water creeps up your arm through your base layer and gets under the poncho. Cold feeling. Maybe you could butcher the driducks for the sleeves. Sleeves + winshirt would probably be the same as a driducks though.
    Wind pants would be fine with a poncho, maybe a kilt + windpants with a jacket. Just be sure they are not see through. I had a few fun instances doing laundery where I forgot my yellow thru hiker wind pants were see through.
    One other thing- thats lots of down. Im not particularly careful and I was happy to be all synthetic more than a few times. You look better prepared to care for your things than I was though. Maybe a sythetic summer quilt?

David Wills

@willspower3

oops, double post.

Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

Yeah I was thinking of making a synthetic summer quilt to go with your recommendation of having it for the colder months. I just got into myog and a synthetic quilt would probably be a good project. I'll probably just bring along some rain pants and rain jacket I already have, and then once it warms up I can throw them out. I'll definitely try making some wind gear too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools