Topic

Using up whats left…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Using up whats left…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Well I wanted to finish up using what was left of my 2 yards of xpac so i decided to make another backpack. I am just having way too much fun making these things. All I had left was the dark Grey and I did not have enough of that to make a whole pack so I used some 70d silicone coated ripstop for the main body of the pack and I used the xpac for the back, bottom and strap connections of the pack. The pack is around 2200 cu in and weighs 19oz. Looking back I got a little carried away with straps on this thing. it has straps everywhere. I was hoping that by using the 70d ripstop that it would weigh a little less then it did, but the webbing and hardware really add up. On the plus side when I tightened the straps down on my gear it really makes the pack feel solid. I have been walking around all afternoon with it loaded with all my gear and it really feels nice.Side view of packFront view of packside
    I didn't want the back of the xpac strap connection pieces to just be the raw back of the xpac so I sewed cordura to the back of it. I also wanted the xpac strap connectors to be attached to the seam of the pack so they did not flop around if the straps were loose. Here are some photos to illustrate what I am trying to convey .Strap detailinside strap detail Creating these straps was the most difficult part of this pack project. I was real worried that the curves of the straps would not turn out nice at all, but I am pleased with how they turned out.
    These last two photos are of the top and bottom of the pack.
    Bottomtop
    Now I am all out of xpac and left wanting more! But hey 3 backpacks out of two yards of xpac and some ripstop is not bad at all. I will have to try and talk the wife into letting me order some more xpac, although she just did let me order some 1.43 oz cuben fiber!

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Very clean Christopher. Love the monochrome color scheme.

A lot of straps as you say though, and I can pretty much guarantee you the majority of your weight is in that webbing, and all the associated hardware. Honestly considering the amount there, I'm amazed it's only 19oz.

I know that vertical swath of fabric attached to the webbing should help for very effective side compression, although I question the effectiveness of it on the front.

Seems to me though like you could be just as effective using cord on the sides (much lighter) and putting a pocket on the front?

Anyway, very professional. I'm guessing you're getting alot of PM's right now asking when you're going to start selling packs. ;)

Jason Delso
    BPL Member

@zencarver

Locale: DFW

That. Looks. Awesome.

When are you opening up your store, did you say? ;)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Beautiful bi-chrome color scheme.

Not that you asked, but for the 9 compression straps, why not use 3 and let each "pass through" all around so they can be adjusted and locked using just 3 ladder locks instead of 9? Will save weight and adjustment tedium.

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Yeah good call on only using 3 ladders, don't know what I was thinking at the time?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, glad to help. It's still a thing of beauty no matter what. Congrats!

Do you take project orders from those of us who can't / won't sew — but are willing to pay? :)

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Christopher, I have been watching these posts and have been absolutely stunned by your designs and craftsmen skills. The results are incredible. I'm basically speechless, but at least wanted you to know how impressive I think your work is. Please keep posting.

Jamie

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Very Very Nice!

Do detect a bit of Granite Gear Virga influence in that design? (but with more of a hip belt)

Properly packed and with all those compression straps I bet it'll carry Real Nice.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

And Osprey influence too… :)

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Chris,

Very glad to see that the "therapy" is going very, very well. :-)

Ripstop leads to XPAC and XPAC leads to cuben fiber.

See I told you MYOG was addictive. Make sure to continue with your therapy on a regular basis and post early and often so we can revel in your obvious talent.;-)

Party On,

Newton

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Thanks for the nice comments guys, it really is nice to be able to share projects like these with other like minded people! Yeah there is some resemblance to the Virga or Vapor trail there, I have always really liked granite gears packs. Speaking of which anybody know of any place that carries that kind of Cordura, it has a smooth finish unlike regular cordura. I asked them at rockywoods and they had no idea what kind they use.

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

Christopher –

It seems like you are a pretty quick study when it comes to this MYOG stuff – I've worked my way through dozens of projects and still don't expect my work to come out looking as good as yours. Keep it up! I'm also impressed by your creativity: your projects don't just look like cottage-gear copies (like some of mine do).

Thanks for sharing, and keep sewing.

Matt

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

"I was hoping that by using the 70d ripstop that it would weigh a little less than it did, but the webbing and hardware really add up."

Yeah, my guess is that the fabric accounts for less than half the total weight of this pack. Like I suggested before, you really need to weigh all the component pieces to find out what is really adding the weight, only then you can work out how to make a lighter pack.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools