Topic

Formulon Spinnaker Nylon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Formulon Spinnaker Nylon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Hanson

@chrishanson

Locale: Eastern Wyoming

How would this be for tents, tarps, etc.? Anyone have any experience with it? I may have a line on some in these weights:

60" wide 1.05 oz.
    1.55 oz
    0.74 oz
    0.85 oz

Thanks,

Chris

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

How much $

Waterproof?

How strong?

Chris Hanson

@chrishanson

I'm getting samples to try. It is used for making spinnakers, so it has to be pretty strong. Cost to be determined. I was curious if anyone else has tried it and if it is suitable to lightweight backpacking purposes. I'll post any finding.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I'm not familiar with this brand so what I'm saying may not apply at all. I have tried some spinnaker nylon, however, and learned a couple of things.

(1) The stated weights need some adjustment to be comparable to the weights we usually use in discussing backpacking nylon. For example I bought some stuff that was called .5 or .75 ounce (can't recall which) and its actual weight was a little over an ounce per square yard.

(2) The stuff I bought was rather stiff and noisy and tore rather easily. I think I recall Gerry Cuningham? from Gerry products saying that, other things being equal, stiffer nylon tears more easily than sleazy nylon. Not sure if this is true but it could explain my experience with the spinnaker fabric I had.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Quick Google search reveals it is a new product from Dimension Polyant:

"Formulon Spinnaker Nylon
    DIMENSION-POLYANT has developed this new spinnaker line based on the combination of unique woven substrates and new coating technologies. The Formulon line utilizes our exclusive Formulon coatings to create super low stretch spinnaker fabric with superior bias control to prevent distortion and accompanying shrinkage under load. This double coating is applied to substrates with "paired" ripstops allowing the firm finish to work without reducing tear and breaking strength. Formulon spinnaker material exhibits performance that lasts combined with the durability to work in modern asymmetrical applications."

Most spinnaker is quite stiff and noisy. It may be that this is necessary to reduce stretch, which appears from the product description to be the manufacturer's goal.
    For a tent, not so good. As Gerry pointed out, stretch absorbs shock that might otherwise cause fabric failure.

Most low denier nylon fabric will sag with changes in temperature and humidity.
    Just because the fabric will not stretch does not necessarily mean it will not sag. Obtain some samples at least a foot square, and stretch them taut in 9" plastic embroidery hoops. Put the hoops outside overnight, and check occasionally. See if the fabric loses its tautness and sags in the hoop. If it is nylon, I bet it does; but maybe they have figured out a way to prevent it.

Many spinnakers do not have the level of water resistance that we need for protection from lengthy rainstorms. Secure the hoop over a small weighted pail, like a bait bucket, put it under a focused shower nozzle, and let 'er rip. I prefer to use a natural rain storm, of which we get some humdingers here at the foot of Mt. Chocorua in NH; but it is winter in most of the continental US, and I imagine, Southeast Alaska.

If you can live with the stiffness and noise, are willing to give up the benefits of elasticity in the fabric, and discover that it has high water resistance and does not sag much, then maybe this fabric might be OK for your next shelter. Many are OK with the spinnaker used in the GG One; but I understand the makers looked long and hard to find a spinnaker with the desired water resistance.

Chris Hanson

@chrishanson

Thanks for all the information. I'll try and get a few samples. I'll report back.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools