Topic

Patagonia Houdini

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Patagonia Houdini

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Back in stock at Moosejaw. Not a deal, but should make some people happy anyway.

Dave T

@davet

Alpha Green color in XL still on sale at Patagonia Web Specials for $90.
    http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-houdini-jacket-special?p=19040-1-984

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ ones on Patagonia site, I think the weight spec is wrong on those, it appears to be the mil spec one (part of their MARS system)- hood folds into collar, heavier denier, longer cut, etc- Large is ~ 10 oz (vs ~ 4-ish for the "regular" Houdini)

I have one of each, one is reserved for bushwacking/hunting, the other for backpacking

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Same deal at Altrec.com as well. Different colors and sizes available.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I "chatted" with Patagonia customer service. They confirmed the 3.7 weight. The color is part of the MARS stuff.

I hacked mine to get rid of the collar and half of the zipper.

Houdini
    Now it weighs 3.6 ounces. So I think the 3.7 is a little optimistic.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Special Edition Houdini (Alpha Green with snap collar)

I measured the Special Edition weight for an XL at 4.5 oz.(XL Standard Edition 4.0 oz.) and an XXL at 4.6 oz.(XXL Standard Edition not available). The porosity of the Special Edition version is about double the standard Houdini and the waterproofness commensurately less. I estimate the Special Edition CFM to be ~10CFM versus ~5CFM for the Standard Edition Houdini.

A simple test that you can do to demonstrate the above mentioned variance is to create a cup shape in the fabric and then pour in 1 cup of water. The Special Edition version fabric results in the water leaking out without any additional pressure applied. The Standard Edition requires that the cup shape be closed and a moderate squeezing force be applied before the water will pass through the fabric.

The DWR (EPIC like treatment) is thicker (more robust) on the Standard Edition than it is on the Special edition. My guess is that the Special Edition version required less gloss for concealment.

Special Edition @ 200x
    Special

Stadard Edition @ 200x
    200x Standard

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

very interesting :) mine evidently is not the "special edition" one, but actually a military issue piece- although they are dead ringers looks wise

weight is 10.5 oz, size large, has the military green tag behind the patagonia label

Photobucket

Photobucket

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Mike,

Very interesting. I looked at the tags on the two I tested; there is the horizontal colored Patagonia label tag and under it is a white garment-care tag. The white garment-care tag says made in China.

The source for the ones that I tested was the Patagonia Web Site. See http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-houdini-jacket-special?p=19040-1-984

How did you source yours?

elLable

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

If that XXL goes up for sale for less than retail Richard, please let me know.

Actually I probably couldn't afford it

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Mike,

You apparently have the PCU L4 military wind shirt rather than the Houdini Special Edition. I also tested the PCU L4 version wind shirt. The Large-Long weighed 11 oz. as does yours. It has less breathability and more hydrostatic head than the Houdini in addition to being extremely durable.

See http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/military-jacket-l4-gen-ii-windshirt-63432227 for a description of your wind shirt.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Richard- thanks :) that sounds like it exactly, I have a regular Houdini that sees a ton of use, wanted something a little more durable for hunting- looks like I found the right piece

Mike

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

other patagonia stuff for the most part is not. also, mars gear has the sizes broken down into long/regular/short for the most part. mars gear leaks out thru the patagonia web site, ebay, army surplus stores and *tactical* supply houses.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ another tidbit I didn't know- thanks :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools