Topic

Hiking trails near Santa Fe?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Hiking trails near Santa Fe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I am going to Santa Fe near the end of February with a friend to visit his brother. I have never been to Santa Fe and was wondering what the weather will be like that time of year and if there are any good day hikes or possibly overnighters close by. We are only going to be there 4-5 days and were planning on skiing for a day or two. Any recomendations on what to do while there? What kind of nighttime temps can I expect?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Everything at altitude will be snowed in . Might be some at one of the NPs or monuments. I'd just go eat at Geronimos 4 times.

Travis Naibert

@outwest

The entire Sangre de Cristo range will be much too snowy in February to overnight, but you could do some shortish day hikes around Santa Fe. If you want to overnight I think your best bet is Bandelier National Monument's backcountry near Los Alamos (where I live). It is less than an hour from Santa Fe. Keep watching the weather, we are having a fairly dry winter, so much of Bandelier could be snow-free except high up the deep canyons. You will likely have to deal with temps in the teens at night and 30's to low 40's during the day though.

Santa Fe and Los Alamos are both above 7000 ft and much of northern new mexico is even higher than that so it isn't your typical desert and winter backpacking isn't often feasible without snow. Day hiking is definitely possible though, especially if you head south towards Albuquerque.

Let me know when you are coming through and maybe we can meet up for a hike.

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

A favorite area of mine is Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument just south of Santa Fe. It is simply beautiful and a great area to spend a few hours. It should also be a bit warmer because it is at a lower elevation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools