Topic

Snowed In: Modif-ION’d

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Snowed In: Modif-ION’d

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Continuing with the trend of "Snowed-In Progress", I got around to putting back together the green Ion that I ripped apart a while ago.

Unlike the usual mods, I decided to go a different route, since the Ion is great for me in different ways than it is for others.

I added a main body pocket, but decided against the side pockets, since they tend to just encourage me to off-balance my pack, and instead of removing the lid and replacing it with a roll-top, I replaced the Dyneema-X with 1.5oz Cuben, along with the top center back-panel. I like the zippered top since it's just the right height that I can tie up my hair without it interfering and causing neck pain.

I removed the hip belt, it's heavy and useless, and trimmed the shoulder strap webbing.

Original weight was 9.some-odd ounces, new weight without the sternum strap is 7.15oz New cool factor is infinite.
    GIon1
    GIon2
    GIon3
    GIon4
    GIon5

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Nice job Javan! Can't wait to see what you do with mine!

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Swanky. I like.

ziff house

@mrultralite

hiking world is turning white. Nice.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

White and the blue Cuben are my favorite colors personally. Can't mistake that stuff on the trail that's for sure. ;)

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

Very nice and very original!

I had thought about doing the back panel in cuben if I ever mod mine.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Larry, at that point you'd almost be better off just making a full cuben one.

Other than the panels I replaced, the entire rest of the body is one, large, funky shaped piece.

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Nice work it looks great!

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I was only thinking that to cut some weight and still have the durability of dyneema on the sides and back for random brush and thorny things. I never got to the point of figuring out if it's feasible because I can't bring myself to hack it up.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

nice work! :)

I found I needed to add side pockets to mine, I'm tight on space as it is for a 2-3 day trip- does look nice & clean w/o them though

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

I've always thought of making a pack with dyneema on the sides and cuben in the middle like that. Looks great and I really do love the white cuben for some reason. I used the think it was uglier than sin, but its really grown on me and looks even better as an accent like that.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Thanks guys, I wanted to drop some weight but basically keep the form the same.

I am going to add some LL3's just below the pocket on each side with some cord running under the bottom to strap a pad or extra bag to.

I thought about adding some webbing harnesses to the sides for removable side compartments, but I dunno, I don't think I need the space for most trips, and if I do, I'll likely take my Ohm (stay tuned for a cuben-remix of my ragged out old Ohm next time I get snowed in), or GoatPack.

I've found I'm pretty good for 3-5days with an un-modded Ion for the summer if I'm willing to compress my quilt a little.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools