Topic

Does Philmont allow supplementing your food?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Does Philmont allow supplementing your food?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Hello Folks,

I know Philmont supplies about 24 ounces of calorie dense food, but are you allowed to supplement with your own food/snacks? I would love to be able to bring along some peanuts, jerky, oatmeal packets, kool-aid mixes, and a few other trail staples that I pack just about every trip.

Thanks,
    Ken

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I believe they would allow that … provided that you are willing to carry it from day 1. But you don't have to rely on us for things like that, sent a query to Philmont. I've had good success getting specific questions answered provided I ask during their less busy season (like now).

I do KNOW that coffee addicts are allowed to bring their own (they also serve coffee and other hot beverages at "adviser's coffee", evenings at staff camps). Again, you carry all personal coffee from day 1.

I also know that they accommodate trekkers with special dietary needs … you provide the food … they might even deliver it to the backcountry commissaries so you can get resupplied at the same time as your crew does. Once again, that should be arranged in advance.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Thanks, Jim.

I have no special dietary needs… Just a sweet tooth and a love for jerky. I'm a big guy (I'll be dropping 60+ pounds to get to Philmont-allowed weight), but even down in the 225 pound range, I need to pull about 5000 calories a day for strenuous hiking. Philfood is good for 3500 or so, from what I hear. I could probably stand to run a calorie deficit for ten days, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

I don't mind carrying the extra weight of some snacks. Right now I'm used to carrying 340+ "ground up" pounds ("skin out" + "skin in"). Between what I've learned on these forums, some wise gear purchases, and the diet, I'm looking to be at 250 pounds from the ground up. The more I lose from the me-weight and the base-weight, the more wiggle/luxury/snack room I have.

I will give the Philmont folks a shout to see if they have any particular restrictions.

Thanks,
    Ken

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Making Philmont weight restrictions … I know that routine all too well! But I can understand their position … with the number of people they serve there's no way they want to be in the high volume medical evacuation business.

There are a couple of options for minor mid trek food supplementation. 1) all staffed camps have swap boxes where you are free to leave what you don't want to eat and free to take what you find 2) most of the backcountry commissaries have a small trading post where you can buy snacks (can you say Toblerone!) 3) you'll likely be able to get a bit of fresh fruit at the commissaries, what a treat! Note that Ring place does not have a trading post (or at least did not in 2010) but with the small number of crews going thru there they were begging us to eat as much fruit as we could.

A story regarding jerky … a neighbor's son brought about 5lbs of home dried jerky. About half way thru the trek he started selling it, didn't eat a piece. Was very profitable!

Ken K

@thefatboy

I understand why they do it, too. My boys have made it clear. At 310 pounds, if I go down, I stay down 'til they can get a tractor back to me.

I plan on taking full advantage of the swap boxes and trading posts. I'll only bring stuff I can't get en route.

As for selling off the goodies… Novel idea. I wouldn't go that far, but I can certainly see a little bit of bartering going on. Who wants to do Mr. K's dishes? Anyone want to carry my part of the crew gear?

And yes, I can say Toblerone, but I'm not sure I'm saying it correctly. What is it?

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

"I would love to be able to bring along some peanuts, jerky, oatmeal packets, kool-aid mixes, and a few other trail staples that I pack just about every trip."

At least in 2010 I saw all of those in the swap boxes. Also, if you have an odd number of people in your crew you could have twice as much food as they are packaged in pairs.

paul buzzard

@troop208

You can bring any food you want, however it has to start the trip with you. Best way to get more food on the trail is to have an odd man crew, as mentioned. We had 13, got food for 14, was nice option when people were hungry. We put some in the swap boxes, but not much, really only the unpopular stuff.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

And yes, I can say Toblerone, but I'm not sure I'm saying it correctly. What is it?

What is Toblerone? This is Toblerone Don't leave BaldyTown without it! he-he

Nate Ward
    BPL Member

@tdaward

Locale: The woods of the South

Ahh yes, Toblerone at Baldy Town…..Had a hard climb from Copper Park over Baldy and down to Baldy Town, got caught in a hail storm on the summit and ran down the back side. It was about 40 degrees, we were all wet and I sat on the rocks there and drank a cup of coffee and at a Toberone bar….heaven!Summit Picture

BTW-bring all the food you want, as long as you carry it, they don't care. Don't expect to get a package on the trail though. We though we would be smart and mail ourselves some oatmeal cream pies on the trail, didn't get them until we went back to base….

Joshua Gray
    BPL Member

@coastalhiker

Or you could always convice or "bribe" your ranger to hike you out some stuff. I did that a couple of times, just cause my crew was going to be somewhere I hadnt been in a while.

Just like I went and snagged some cigars for a couple older assist. Scoutmasters after they were done with their trek. A buddy and I even went so far as to hike out steaks to a crew…but that was the only time that happened and they were by far my favorite crew. Could hike as fast as I could, laid back, and followed the rules…a ranger's dream crew.

Always depends on who your ranger is and how their schedule is.

Mike Mayberry

@mikemayberry

I took 18 mini clifbars just because I thought I might need them. Came home with 17 and carried them nearly 100 miles. What I now know is that the swap boxes contain many things,including clifbars and other choices. And your eating on the trail is so different from what you are accustomed to on other hikes. You will eat less than you imagine, eat the provided food and really want no more. Occasionally, you might want a snack as described by others but at every meal, somebody/nearly everybody wants to get rid of several items and you can barter for leftovers.

Nothing wrong with mini clifbars other than I couldn't bring myself to leave them in a swapbox, so they are not in the snack drawer at home. Maybe in a month I will be able to eat one.

BTW, I lost 30 lbs. in pre-training for Philmont and 10 more on the trail. Great life experience and now I am committed to keeping it off. I'm 56 years old and wouldn't have otherwise been motivated to lose the weight.

MM

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools