Topic

GoLite Virga now available

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GoLite Virga now available

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I noticed tonight that the awaited GoLite Virga is now available for sale on the GoLite’s website. They are claiming 8oz for a size large. At only $80, it could be a strong contender.

-Mark

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Yes, $80 compared to some of the heavier/more expensive options from other companies is very inviting.

It will be interesting to hear more reviews from the field as they come out. I’m still getting life out of my 10 oz Precip (modified) to be in the market but it’s fun to plan ahead.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It has no pit zips?….

Jay McCombs
    BPL Member

@jmccombs

Locale: Southwest

when do the $50 ether full zip, hooded wind shirts talked about here in the ORSM thing come out?

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

When we first looked at the Virga at Winter 06 OR, it weighed 6 oz, but the production model (which we saw at Summer OR) had pockets added which boosted the weight up to 8 oz. Even at 8 oz its an excellent LW and inexpensive rain jacket. The Reed Pant will have ankle zips for 07.

That said, the Sierra Designs Isotope Jacket weighs 5.3 oz in size L and it has a full zip, hood, and pockets. And its now waterproof (!), but only with a 800 mm rating, which is about 1 psi.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Will:

The SD Isotope has a waterproofing of 800mm (barely better than nothing) and breathability of 3,000 g/sq meter/24 hrs. (breathable but not all that breathable).

Do you know the comparable specs for the Virga? If so, pray tell. Thanks in advance.

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

I bought the Sierra Designs Isotope jacket and pants recently. While they don’t seem very impressive overall, the fabric does seem plenty waterproof. I can’t force any water through it (I’ve tried), and the tag says “3000 mm waterproofness”. The 800 mm rating was probably for an earlier version of the fabric. Perhaps it would leak in very high pressure areas, like under pack straps or a hip belt, but I’d expect the fabric to be effectively waterproof. The seams are another issue.

Breathability, based on my very limited experience, is somewhere between mediocre and terrible. If the Virga is even moderately breathable and has properly taped seams, it should be a superior jacket.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

O.K.
    no has done a review on this yet so I’ll give it a wack.

First of all the overall design is very good, but The fit is huge. You’ll notice on the spotlight that the tester is 6′ 4″ and it fits him well. The spotlight on this is actually spot-on, except the weight.
    My large weighed 9.1oz but fits like an XL. I think I got a heavy one because prolite gear had theirs weigh in at 7.8. This is not a bad thing, even though Golite claims 6oz, going one size smaller may get you in that range.

In the field the jacket works 1-10 a 6. As far as strength goes, a 5, but this is based on an accessment of other water-proof jackets I have seen or used. I would be more afraid of ripping this jacket than some of the ripstops because the fabric is flat and will have a better possiblity of ripping if it catches on something. It blocks wind very well but in less windy conditions you get a little clammy. I can’t wait to try out the Reed pants since the lower body doesn’t get all that clammy.

All in all, its a good way to get light weight rain gear at a good price.
    I’m betting that someone will come along with a fabric that is lighter and more breathable in the next few years, but will probably cost a ton more.
    So if your into the newest lightest gear that will do the job for backpacking, I would highly recommended it unless you do all of your hiking in the summer in the deep south.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Just noticed,
    Golite changed the weight to 8oz.

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

Aaron –

Yes, the production version of the Virga is not the same as the version we spotlighted earlier this year. See Will’s post above.

I am the tall guy in the spotlight photo, and I’ve been pleased with the pre-production version. I don’t need the pockets and the jacket is light enough that I used it in place of a windshirt this summer.

Don

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Don,
    Thank’s for the info.
    It really is nice to have a lite weight jacket that will play double duty with the wind and rain.
    As far as the Reed pants go, do you have any idea when the 07 will be out?
    Some companies come out with next years models around this time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools