Topic

Liphe and Possum Down hats

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Liphe and Possum Down hats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Hi, these hats are one size fits all. I normally take a size large in the OR line. My question is will the Liphe or Possum Down hats be stretched too much for my hat size?
    Thanks,
    Paul

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

own them both.

i’m at the lower end of medium size range for other hats.

here’s my best guess.

Poss’mDown beanie – IMHO, this one will fit no problem. it stretches quite readily.

Liphe softshell hat – i’m not sure. it seems to be less “stretchable” than the PDbeanie. however, i can fit mine over my ballcap, though it gets a little snugger fitting it over my ballcap. by this i mean, it’s not tight around my head when worn over my ballcap, but doesn’t slide over my ballcap as easily as it slides onto my barehead – obviously.

hope this info helps.

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

I am a large in most headwear and find that the Liphe fits, but I would prefer it larger to give better ear protection.

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Thanks Paul and Neil, The Beanie sounds like a fit, but I’m not sure about the Liphe. I usually go by 7 5/8 when fitting a hat. Although if my hair keeps receding then the Liphe might work!:)
    Thanks
    Paul

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

I have a 7 7/8 hat size and the possum down works tho a tad snug, it should be fine for you with your tiny noggin

Jason Shaffer

@pilgrim

I also own both. b/c I take a size large hat, I do find the liphe hat too snug, and the ear coverage inadequate. also a bit wierd in the looks department, for those concerned. However, a version with better ear coverage would make a great helmet liner.

The possumdown hat is my favorite beanie ever. Would definitely recommend it.

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Thanks everyone, I’m going to pick up a PD beanie and try it out.
    Paul

Norman Otto

@gnotto

I fully agree with Jason, having tried both, the Liphe is too snug & not enough ear coverage. Possum down hat is now my all-timefavorite cold temp. hat for camp & I sleep in it with my possum gloves & possum sox covered by my S.D.down booties. (22 3/4 head measurement).
    This winter in NH mountains I slept twice in my 30 deg. bag + Bivy sack wearing my Micropuff jacket & pants & once w/ my Cacoon too & was comfortably warm down to zero(with hot water canteen too) under a tarp or H.S. tarptent.
    Cold Sleeper(nolonger)NORM

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

YOu might also want to check out the Smartwool Cap

Craig S Stewart

@cstewart

Locale: Southwest Germany

Does the Possumdown itch?

paul johnson

@pj

the short answer: no.

the long answer:

no.
    i am very susceptible to itching from wool and really can’t wear anything but high quality merino wool.

i have NEVER experienced any itching whatsoever from any P.D. wool item that i own (socks, gloves, beanie, vest, or sweater). i wear this stuff all of the time. in fact, they are the only socks i wear to work and around the house. on the trail, no matter how much i’m sweating, i never itch.

To Keep your PD garments itch free:

make sure that you hand wash your PD items. or use the hand wash cycle on your washing machine. don’t use the delicate cycle – too much agitation on most washing machines. agitation, even on the delicate cycle, might break wool fibers & cause itching. if your washing machine doesn’t have a hand wash cycle, then manually hand wash your PD garmets. rinse them well under running water. DON’T WRING ANY WATER OUT OF THEM IF YOU HAND WASH (you could break some wool fibers). just give them a gentle to firm squeeze or press them flat against the inside of the sink with your hands to get some of the water out. then lay them flat to dry on a surface that allows air to get at both sides of the garment – or, turn them over after a bit. don’t hang them (especially the vest and sweater). you don’t want to stretch or break any wool fibers or change the shape of the grament. i dry them inside out for a while & then turn them right side out to finish drying – laying flat both times of course.

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Not anymore

Anonymous

The gloves and socks don’t itch me. The hat does a little.

paul johnson

@pj

i don’t dispute the prev. Poster’s personal experience.

my experience is a bit different.

my 30+ yr old USN wool watch cap (a very high grade of wool), does itch some after 10-20 minutes or so. it doesn’t bother my son at all. it’s his now. besides his 105th percentile head stretched it all out. he loves it & thinks it’s the best wool cap he’s ever worn. so did i until i tried the PD beanie. i’m NOT letting my son try my PD beanie – even for 30 seconds!!! there has to be some limit to parental sacrifice!!! (maybe i should just buy him one?)

my PD beanie never itches.

long term care of merino wool products (i.e. washing & dryting) must be done correctly or they can start to itch.

Norman Otto

@gnotto

Don’t use a cigaret lighter to light your stove while wearing PD gloves in winter. Like any fur, they are prone to scorching/burning. I revert to my Patagonia lt. wt. liner gloves for winter cooking. I bot a Solo camping lighter at EMS with flame extension for winter camping & it works great at 1 3/8 oz -40 grams. Heavier gear in winter but its worth it when playing with fire in the cold. (no itch by the way)
    Downhill Norm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools