Topic

Rivers for Packrafting in the Southeast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Rivers for Packrafting in the Southeast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bryce Nerland

@bnerland

Locale: Southeast

I am planning a packrafting trip on the Chattooga River at the beginning of October. I seems to be one of the few rivers in the southeast that is well suited for packrafting. The Chattooga River trail provides a route to backpack out at the end of the float. I am wondering if anyone is aware of other rivers in the southeast where packrafting would be possible.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I just rafted the whitewater section 4 (south of Hwy 76 near Clayton Ga.) this summer in a 4 person raft.

What part of the Chattooga were you packrafting?

Bryce Nerland

@bnerland

Locale: Southeast

My plan is to do whatever parts of sections 1-3 that are runnable. From the reports I’ve seen, it looks like section 3 is the only section of those that is currently high enough to be runnable. The reports also say that section 4 is runnable right now, however, I’ve never been to that part of the river and dont know of any trails to hike out as I had hoped to do. Any advice?

Roman Dial

@romandial

Locale: packrafting NZ

My son and I did the French Broad and it was great fun. We ran it two in one Alpacka as I brough a fuel bottle cap and not the valve cap so we both jumped in one boat with two paddles. We ran it all, including the last class IV — but dumped in the hole at the bootom of that.

You can run most rapids in a packraft that you do in other boats up to class III without much problem.

As for combining hiking and rafting (real packrafting) my hunch is that the good stuff is going to be creeking in the Smokies (Class IV+) and will require good boating skills, best developed by running the standard rivers in your packraft to get comfortable with the boat.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools