Topic

Any backpacking area that is not wet/snowed out in the winter around Northern CA?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Any backpacking area that is not wet/snowed out in the winter around Northern CA?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

haha james we actually ended up going up to henry coe. very nice park but the trail systems were brutal. trails would go straight up ridges with no switchbacks and most of the roads were worse.. we did a big loop down to coit lake up through osterimba wilderness and to mississippi lake and back.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Looks like the Wapama Falls bridge in Hetchy Hetchy is repaired to the point they are allowing hikers to cross.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm#CP_JUMP_124755

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, this was made public a week or two ago. There's good news and there's bad news. The good news is that the bridge is open now so you can get to Rancheria Falls. The bad news is that since the bridge is open, everybody will be headed to Rancheria Falls or some other low-elevation destination since the high country will be covered in white stuff for a long time. I'm trying to figure out the best season for wildflowers in there. Last year, the end of May was just slightly too early, and we got snowed on.

–B.G.–

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I saw it in the SF Chronicle this weekend, but hadn't seen anything on BPL. Looks like the reserved permits for the early May weekend are pretty much booked already.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I like the Rancheria Falls trip in early season if the flowers are out. It's not much mileage (7?), but it is a good shakedown trip to begin the rest of the summer backpacking season. I wish that Yosemite had more similar destinations at low elevations.

–B.G.–

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools