Topic

Anyone use a horn for bears?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone use a horn for bears?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I just heard this from a fellow hiker. He carries a “canned” horn to scare away bears! You know, the kind fans use at football games, etc. that are basically a presurized aerosol can. He uses this as opposed to bear mace sprays like Counter Assault.

At first, it sounded odd to me but the more I think about it, they make me jump out of my skin when one goes off unexpetantly nearby.

I can see that the horn doesn’t have the dissadvantages that the sprays have. The sprays are nearly useless in a strong wind. In a lighter wind you still need to get upwind of the bear to avoid spraying yourself (that means you have to get the bear to cooperate). In rain/snow storms, I doubt that the sprays are very effective.

As I like to find multiple uses for my gear, the horn could be used as an emergency whistle, actually, a very loud emergency whistle. I haven’t weighed one but it’s probably the same as the bear spray or maybe lighter since there is only air in the can!

Has anyone heard of this concept or am I the only one wandering aimlessly alone in the woods?

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I grew up in Maine, and when we went up to our cabin on the northern tip of Moosehead Lake, we had to walk to a natural spring for drinking water. My parents would always carry an air horn like you describe to ward off bears. Before that, they carried a pot and a metal ladle.

So yeah, I’ve heard and seen this approach…but if you’re backpacking, it seems like there are a LOT more efficient ways of doing this, including something as simple as waving one’s arms and using one’s lungs. I’ve done it in highly human-acclimated black bear country and it works just fine.

Using artificial noise makers may lead others in your area to assume there’s an emergency, but yelling loudly usually only means one of two things to those who might hear it: drunken rednecks or a nearby bear. In the backcountry, of course, usually it’s the latter. :-) And that’s actually a wee bit useful to others within earshot to hear.

Or, *ahem,* for those with high disposable incomes, you can use a titanium long-handled spoon and a titanium single-wall mug. ;-)

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Counter Assault bear spray emits a loud noise along with the pepper spray.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Needs more cowbell….

I’m a percussionist (see http://www.drumjournal.com) and I had to laugh at the Ti noisemaker.

Some rangers use M-80 fire crackers. I like the air horn idea, but don’t make three blasts at a time. I see bear spray as a deterrent if cornered or the bear is trying to raid your camp. I think spraying a bear that is just on the trail in front of you, not being aggressive, etc, is a little out of line. If noise will deter them, why not use that? We just want the smell and sound of humans to be a high sign to get out of the area.

You know, I’ve been asking why a good bear repellent hasn’t been developed. A sonic device just might do the trick. Something that emits a sound that will annoy a bear and is out of the range of human hearing would be great. It might be made multi-frequency to work on rodents and raccoons too. Add a little motion-sensing circuitry and you could have a pocket radio-size device that will make Yogi run for the (other) hills.

Y’know, that does explain that bear I saw with a bumper sticker on his hind end that said “HONK IF YOU’RE HORNY” :)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Michael,
    In his excellent book (Bear Attacks-Their Causes and Avoidance), Stephen Herrero mentions that the “air horn” is a viable way to deter a bear. I just completed a series of eight backpack trips over two months (4 in Glacier, 4 in Yellowstone), and I carried Counter Assault with me. The only time I had to pull it out was when a grumpy mother moose stalked me and got within 8 feet. After she pounded the dirt and sprayed moose-spit all over me, she heaved a punctuated grunt and walked off. I doubt that an air horn would have done much to help my cause, as moose are notoriously goofy. However, while in Yellowstone, I noticed that the rangers have a serious air horn in their Chevy patrol cars, which work nicely to move a bison off the road. I like your idea of using an air horn to sound an emergency call. Maybe we should be carrying both the horn and the spray? Thanks for your post–this stuff keeps us thinking.

Gary Dunckel

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

I recently read the book The Essential Grizzly: The mingled fates of men and bears. Very current and a great read from Doug’s fascinating story-like accounts of “the days in a life” take on 3 different bears that exist in the lower 48 to his wife’s broader scope look at how men and bears are co-existing.

Regarding being in bear country, Doug does a quick take on what he feels is realistic given his decades of experience. He encounters more than a few groups of backcountry visitors who are pulsing airhorns and yelling loudly as they round every trails bend. He agrees that this is an extremely safe approach, if not overkill. But I doubt he would suggest that you would want to blast an airhorn at a grizzly you encountered during the day as a way to get them away. He suggests that in general, regular level conversation in areas where there is not high noise is plenty to alert a bear of your presence if they are awake. The things you want to avoid are getting close to and awaking a griz on a daybed…getting within 300 yards of a mother with cubs or yearlings…or encountering a boar or mother with a fresh kill. His best advice should this happen is to be aware of the bear’s immediate attitude…and either back away slowly while making yourself as small as possible and or speaking gently to the griz…all the while avoiding any fast or agressive behavior and any eye contact. He feels even most times when you encounter a griz who starts to charge during the day….they are very unlikely to make contact. He also states that night time encounters where the griz is “looking” for something including possibly you….you may need to be more agressive…as the griz is no longer in defensive mode. Doug also agrees that pepper spray is generally the best sleep aid when you tuck into your tent at night and are a little concerned about the big guys coming around for a snack.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Hehehe– the thought of sneaking up behind a 500 pound carnivor with an air horn…. BLAAAAAAAT. Either you would have one very angry bear, or you would be covered in bear scat— and then die. I’ll pass on any combination :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools