Topic

San Rafael Wilderness, Los Padres National Forest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips San Rafael Wilderness, Los Padres National Forest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I realize this is late notice but I think I'm going to head out for a quick overnighter this weekend into the San Rafael Wilderness in the Los Padres National Forest (behind Santa Barbara, CA).

I've got some ideas for a trip in mind but am flexible if others have a place they want to visit. I'd like to do a trip that's between 20 and 40 miles roundtrip, probably mostly on trail. Would prefer to avoid snow but scrambling and/or some off-trail exploration is fine by me. I enjoy searching for rock art sites and old indian camps.

Leave tomorrow a.m., return sometime Sunday afternoon. PM me if interested.

If folks are interested in a trip some other weekend as well, by all means, let me know. I'm itchin' to get out right now!

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Hey, a friend and i were looking to head to Los pardres this weekend. Did you make the trip out? can you recommend a trail/trip?

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Yeah, I did a quick solo overnighter over the weekend. I left from NIRA and headed out towards White Ledge, getting off trail a bit to go explore and camp for the night.

The Manzana Trail is in excellent shape right now. The creek is running pretty well; theyre's quite a few creek crossings, mostly about knee deep. Some you can find a way across with dry feet, some… not so much. Pretty much every little creeklet has running water right now.

Daytime temps in the 50s; night time lows around the mid 20s.

Didn't see another soul the entire weekend once I hit the trail.

There's some other nice walks from out by Cuyama to Painted Rock and all the nearby potreros. The higher peaks… Big Pine, Little Pine, San Rafael Mtns looked like they had a bit of snow still, if you're looking for a winter-type setting. The trail to Santa Cruz station is a nice walk too. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions, etc.

EDIT: If you're looking for something worthy of a couple of nights, consider the Sisquoc loop (NIRA to South Fork, follow the Sisquoc River downstream to Manzana Schoolhouse and then follow the Manzana back upstream to NIRA) or hike out to South Fork, set up a base camp and explore upstream. Expect lots of creek crossings and probably some bushwhacking and hard-to-follow trails as you get out to the Sisquoc River. I haven't heard any recent reports about the trail conditions out that way… best advice is to follow the bear/cat tracks- they know the trails! The trails along the Manzana are in excellent shape.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools