Topic

My first DIY Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My first DIY Backpack

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Lammers
    BPL Member

@mechb

Locale: Washington DC

This is an incredibly awesome looking pack (as is backpack #2 that you posted–looks like a sweet daypack or bookbag). I'd like to try my hand at making a pack and I have a couple questions for you.

About how many yards of fabric did you use to make this pack? About how much total in time/money did it cost to make it? Also, what kind of experience did you have with sewing before you made this pack? If you're careful and methodical enough is it a doable first project?

Thanks!

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Brenden, glad you like the pack. I ordered 2 yards of Xpac, one gray and one Kiwi and 1 yard of the 4mm foam mesh. Which was enough to make my first 2 bags, I had enough gray xpac left to make the bottom and back of my third bag. So you can get 2 to 3 bags with three yards of material. I want to say each bag cost like $25-$30 to make. You could save money by making a bag all the same color. As far as time spent, I took a lot of time thinking about what I wanted the pack to look like and what size i wanted the pack to be. I had all the fabric for a couple of weeks before I started cutting into it. Making those first cuts was the hardest part about making the bag. They only sewing experience I had before this was a not so cool sweatshirt I made in 7th grade Home EC.
    I had no experience at all, I just took my time and made sure everything lined up and double and triple checked everything before I started sewing. So yes if you take your time and double check everything you will be able to do this project no problem.

So get sewing and show us some photos when you are done!

Michael Cleveland
    BPL Member

@wunnspeed

How does the song go… “The first cut is the deepest…..” When you are first starting on a new project, especially a new design, it’s really tough to pick up the scissors make that first cut. I make bikepacking gear as a second job and I’m highly impressed. What CAD program did you use and did you use a pack as a model/muse/guide or just come up with the idea out of thin air? Whatever the answer, I’m a tad jealous. The last couple of weeks I’ve been thinking about taking on exactly this sort of project and even though I’m used to working with these materials, I want to get it right, the first time. Again, well done and enjoy using it.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Almost 7 years …

Hard to comprehend. Fun to have watched.

ZimmerBuilt

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools