Topic

GoLite Peak Backpack Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable GoLite Peak Backpack Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Personnaly, I think it is too heavy. At 29oz, it is too much.
    I look at a Light weight pack at 32 oz and less.
    I look at a UL pack at 16oz and less.
    I look at a SUL pack at 8oz or less.

Soo, yes, it qualifies as a light weight pack. But, as Will and Janet point out, they are heavy for the volume. Despite the features, I think I will pass on these.

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I'm quite happy with my 2010 Jam and just got back from a trip with it (expect a report soon) and while I can't read the article since my membership expired I feel like I can still add to this discussion a bit. I didn't buy a peak because of the only minor weight difference for a significant reduction in volume and because of poor user reviews here concerning the shoulder straps. Had I been spending over $100 on a pack I would have gone with a MLD Super Burn or even ULA CDT.

I don't think the new Golite packs are bad; just over priced. And I wouldn't have bought mine if it wasn't marked down considerably. I've got a bit more trimming to do to it and but it currently weighs a hair over 27 ounces. As it was it accounted for nearly 2 pounds of my 8 pound base weight but for $85 I can't complain much.

Now some notes about the pack. I found the hip belt pockets to be sized perfectly for stowing a buff and an inhaler in one and aqua mire, carmex, some duct tape, and small vial of sunscreen in the other. I could do with a little less padding on the hip belt but it probably feels good to people in stores….

I was happy with the slightly larger rear pocket as it allowed me to keep my rain gear, map, stakes, gloves, windshirt, camera, etc. easily accessible and easy to find.

Just like on my test hikes with this pack I found the mesh back panel to be underwhelming. It doesn't seem to help at all and I sweat just as much as if I had plain Dyneema against my back.

The foam pad was nice on this trip since I would have had to carry something to go under my legs anyway. But it doesn't really need to have its own sleeve IMO. With the mesh, pad sleeve, and hydration sleeve there are 3 layers of fabric at some points in the back of this pack. It seems like you could just share a sleeve for the bladder and pad if you like to keep a bladder there – I know I don't. Anyway, three layers of fabric seems like a bit of over kill.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools