Topic

Teaser: Today’s mail from TiGoat.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Teaser: Today’s mail from TiGoat.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

CF foster's lid

Goat Pack

Cheers! ;)

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

That pack frame looks interesting. Whatever happened to the TiGoat packraft?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

The frame *is* interesting. It hugs my body like the ULA Ohm does, snugly, and softly, but the difference is obvious.

It's very rigid, but extremely flexible. To say this thing is awesome would be the understatement of the (new) year.

As to the Packraft well, I'm sure Josh will chime in, but as we all know, some things don't always quite pan out, but I've got no inside scoop in that regard. I'm thrilled at the Goat Pack.

I know there are some other exciting things otw from TiGoat also, but I'm most excited about the fact that we've got a shop with the capability to do interesting things with Carbon Fiber that we haven't previously had access to.

Am I the only one impressed with the CF Foster's lid?

Maybe the SP700 users would be excited if there was a CF lid for their pot? Hmm?

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Locale: Ozarks

When can i get one of those cf lids? I need one.

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

Oh my.

Any idea about what other pots they'll be making the lid for? I'd like one for the MLD 450ml(IIRC) pot/mug thing I'm thinking about ordering. Wait, what am I talking about? I'm going to get one I'm just waiting to see what else I'm getting with it.

The pack looks nice too.

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

Wow, it's beautiful! Also being a cyclist I am very familiar with the 'need' for shiny carbon parts. This lid looks great, I am very excited about it. Do you have weight? I would guess only a couple grams.

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

Wow, that lid looks awesome…
    I'm hooked – the one thing I don't like about my Foster's stove is the fiddly lid.
    Any ideas when it will be available???

Anonymous

My job here is only to tease you and get your hopes up, not offer "answers". :P

I'd direct your inquiries to [email protected]

All I can say is that DJ and Josh are incredible people to work with, and will likely try to accommodate anybody that asks for anything nicely enough.

I haven't weighed the lid, I will today, don't have my scales on hand, but it feels as light or lighter than the regular lid. I'm sure it would be fractions as heavy as a Ti Lid. It seems very strong, one of the major advantages I see of having one of us that can do CF work is that he's likely willing to make it thinner than most shops would be, but it's definitely thick enough. The fit is also very snug, in fact I'll probably have to soften it just a little.

Also, I have to say, the workmanship on the pack, sewing wise, etc. is top notch. I'll post some initial review type info after I get a chance to get out with it soon. I'll be using it along with a bunch of other things for a heavy weight(by our standards, obviously) winter luxury trip. As soon as I figure out which shoes to buy. =”,jdempsey”

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"All I can say is that DJ and Josh are incredible people to work with…"

+1.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

"All I can say is that DJ and Josh are incredible people to work with…"

+2–I don't know DJ, but Josh is rather amazing.

One question regarding the carbon fiber lid–will it withstand heat, such as when boiling water? I'm not familiar with the properties of that material.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Can that lid be used as a "sippy lid" to drink from (like a coffee cup top)?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

"One question regarding the carbon fiber lid–will it withstand heat, such as when boiling water? I'm not familiar with the properties of that material."

"Can that lid be used as a "sippy lid" to drink from (like a coffee cup top)?"

Great minds think alike? I already asked those questions, and just got answers.

I'll just paste a quote from Josh's response:

"If you got it hot enough, the resin could degrade and be an issue, but that would require an open flame being applied. The epoxy resin cures at about boiling, and it is this cure temperature that determines the working temperature. Most of the beer can linings are epoxy based also, with similar working temps. Another factor is the mold release, we are using mold release that is approved for use on "food machinery". Its silicone based mold release used for lube on food processing machinery."

Seems to answer both questions. Temp shouldn't be an issue, it's been factored in, and they should be food safe.

Time to update my MYOG french press!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

All I can say is that DJ and Josh are incredible people to work with…"

Yes, I had a good experience with TiGoat too (I love my TiTri Caldera Cone) however I was disappointed to see the mKettle advertised there….
    Franco

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I don't like the lid at all. It makes me want to give up being cookless just so I can have that lid.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

The lids: The Foster/Heiny lids will be available in the next 2 weeks or so. We are deciding if we are going to have some one else build them for us, or if we are going to keep them in house. Lids should be available for some other pots around the same time. There will be others available in the future

The Raft: We bowed out for several reasons.

mKettle: Franco, tell me more, it doesn't have to be here, but let me know. You are not the first to make a comment, so I feel I've missed something.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

"however I was disappointed to see the mKettle advertised there…."

Yeah, I saw that up there aswell. I'm going to guess that Ti Goat doesn't even know about that whole ordeal. Ryan didn't even know about it and he owns this place! :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Josh
    I'll send you a PM and lets keep the kettle out of this.
    But since you are here, the lid on my 550 ml pot/mug does not fit any more (or any less) because the pot as you know is thin enough to deform.
    So the lid needs to fit a few millimeters (3 smidgen in funny measurement) inside the pot.
    I like the pot…
    Franco

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

You may be in luck there.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

That pack is on my wish list this year.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Customer service +2

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Anyone have a picture of the front and more info on the new Goat Pack, I googled it but came up with backpacks for actual goats.

Edit: nevermind, lots of info on the website.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

TiGoat CF Foster's Lid: 4.4g

Aluminum Foster's Lid: 6.7g

My scale is accurate to 1/10th gram.

Of course the obvious advantage is the fit, functionality, and durability, but 2.3g is still 2.3g. ;P

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

My CF lid arrive this morning… What a beautiful, minimalist, piece of gear/art. I threw my foster's lid away. What a sparkling day I am having today!

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

I need one for my snow peak 600. People are charging way too much for stamped aluminum ones. I just got my tax return,so can they build me a carbon fiber tent? That would look awesome. Nice and dark so I could sleep later. Also it would be just about bear proof.

Tam Nguyen

@foldersunite

Any more news/reviews of that pack?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools