Topic

Gear List for 3-Season Western Hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List for 3-Season Western Hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    j p

@johnnythunder

I have a setup largely informed by my hikes on the AT and LT. It's frustrating to see my kit weigh more starting another long trail than it did finishing the last (shouldn't it drop?). But I have lost some fat and tend to be colder now then I was then. Please take a look at let me know what I've missed. Most of the weights are from memory but I do know that the base-weight ends up being somewhere between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds.

Bag – Helium Long 34
    Pack – ULA Circuit 36
    Tent – TT Rainbow 34
    Pad – 3/4 Z-lite 10
    Pack liner – 2
    pack cover – 3

pot – 2 liter titanium 8
    stove – alky 2
    fuel bottle *
    spoon – 1
    food bag – 2
    msr dromlite bag 4
    water drops 3

knife – safety razor thing 1
    headlamp 3
    junk bag 1
    glasses repair kit *
    spare batteries *
    camera/charger – olympus *
    spare camera batteries *
    sun glasses*
    toilet paper/wet wipes *
    pills *
    cell phone/charger *

t-shirt – patagonia wool – 4
    patagonia cap 3 top – 8
    mtn hardwear super transition tights – 8
    generic running tights – 5
    montbell alpine light parka – 14
    underwear – 2
    knit hat – 2
    spare socks- Darn Tuff (2)- 4
    TNF Diad jacket – 10
    mtn hardwear conduit pants – 8

the stuff with weights comes to about 12.5 pounds…plus the unweighed stuff is probably around 13.5.

I see my tent, pot and camera as my three luxury items and know that I'm adding weight on the three. The clothing is probably non-negotiable piece-by-piece (because of how cold i can get) but I would be interested in hearing about better options in those categories. A friend has me just about convinced to trade up on my rain jacket to a Arc Teryx gore pro-shell which would add weight.

I also see where i could drop a pound really easy…ditch the spare tights, go back to an e-lite, and get a 3 ounce pad…so that could be done with little change in my overall comfort.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm probably looking at at PCT hike but maybe CT or just for weekend when i head out west.

j p

@johnnythunder

Worn Clothing

Nike Free+ Shoes
    Darn Tuffs
    Saucony running shorts
    Long sleeve sun shirt
    Bandana on pack strap
    Sun hat
    glasses

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

Why do you have such a large pot?

I would go back to the e-lite

Pack liner, dont really need a cover as well

I would drop the 2nd pair of tights

Why does your friend think you need a arc teryx pro shell jacket? I have one and it is a bomber shell but quite heavy (17ounces).

Ryan C

@ryandaskier

Locale: Hampton Roads, VA

I agree with looking into a smaller pot, maybe even a mug. I would also ditch the extra tights/pack cover.

As far as the jacket, I love my Arc'teryx shell for skiing, but went with a OR Helium for backpacking. Someone just posted one for just under $100 in the deals forum.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=41036.

A significant weight (>10 oz.) and financial (>$200) savings over the Arc'teryx, and a jacket that I'm very happy with.

Ryan C

@ryandaskier

Locale: Hampton Roads, VA

Also, if you gained some compactness… smaller pot, ect. You could probably go to a smaller pack. As you know, your pack isn't heavy, but you could probably even lose another pound with a SMD Swift, MLD Burn/Prophet/Exodus, ect.

@trooper

Your list looks great.

The Arc'teryx Alpha SL is one of my best purchases of last year. I've had several lighter rain jackets made of Gore-Tex competitors, but they all ended up leaving me soaked. I'll take a heavier rain jacket that works any day, and at 348 grams, I'm satisfied. I would suggest that you go with a Paclite instead of the Proshell, as it is slightly lighter, but less expensive at the cost of some durability.

j p

@johnnythunder

My thinking about the new jacket is along the lines of why I carry the heavier pack. All of my stuff would fit comfortably in a smaller/lighter model but I feel like the circuit is the balance of lightweight material and construction with durability. I got sick of replacing (or feeling like I had to replace) my gear at the end of every long hike. I already have an LT hike in the circuit and could see doing the PCT and another long trail with it before needing to find a replacement. The same goes for replacing rain jackets. Part of me thinks it's easy to just buy the next precip copy (at the precip price point) at the beginning of the next season. But eventually it just gets consumptive. If I could go back and blow a lot of money and the right durable gear, rather than 2 or 3 pieces of throw-away gear, I would. I feel like buying/carrying stuff like the circuit or the jacket are as much an investment in quality gear now as it is in quality gear later. Plus it feels good to set off for a long period and know your stuff is bomb-proof and if the zombie apocalypse comes, so be it.

The pot started as a novelty thing and became something else. A friend taught me how to cook a NY Strip in a big-bottomed ti pot using an alky stove. And pulling a huge pot out of a light pack is a trip. But I realized that I was saving a lot of money in towns by eating as well as I did on the trail…something I don't think I could do with a mug. I have seen mac and cheese boil over on those sub-liter msr pots. And you can't double lipton one either. The only pot I've found that would fit my size needs while offering a large enough weight gain is the 1.2 liter marketed by MLD. It'd probably be more efficient on fuel, too…not letting all that air/heat out when I open the lid. Maybe it's worth it. I'll take a look.

The E Lite was good for camp chores but I wasn't satisfied with it while night hiking. I do have a lot of batteries for it but b/c of their expense and rarity on the trail it would necessitate mail drops just to keep my light juiced.

My friend really likes the Alpha SL (I think that's the proshell light version). I'm concerned with how quickly the paclite would wear. I'd be buying the jacket hoping to get at least 2 trails out of it.

I should probably drop those other tights.

Is there another foam pad besides cascade products that is lighter and has similar r-value?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

IMO, expensive bomber jackets are not needed unless
    – you expect to climb or bushwhack in the rain
    – it rains alot … and i mean ALOT … like every day …
    – you like carrying the extra weight and have moola to spare

for the uses most people here do, a sub 14 oz jacket is more than enough … the cheaper, the better within reason …

i've got a 24 oz dead bird stingray sitting in the closet … ive got more dead birds than a KFC … and i personally dont think they worth the money unless u can get it for 30%-50% off …

for those situations where youll be tear it apart get a cheap jacket, for occasional use, get a light jacket

j p

@johnnythunder

thanks for the offer…but the alpha light model is something like 12 or 13 ounces depending on the proshell or the paclite model. not much more in weight than a similar jacket cut of different material.

William Johnsen
    BPL Member

@sixoclocknews

Eric, I thought I had a lot of dead bird stuff…living that close must make it hard to resist.

jp, I have an Alpha LT (the proshell model), it's great (and if you don't pay retail, it's even better). It's really tough while still being light. I personally think you save money on a more durable jacket cause you're not having to replace it as often, though you're not going to get to super-ultra light weights with it. I'd skip the Alpha SL (pac-lite) as it's not that durable (2 layer WPB fabric can only do so much) and there are plenty of other brands offering Paclite jackets for less.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

JMO, but Gore has new tech for the next season. They're promising lighter weight and more breathability than both PacLite and Pro. I wouldn't buy a new Arc'Teryx shell at this point.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

You are light enough that anything you trim now is luxury. You have hiked enough you know your own preferences and once you have a couple thousand trail miles in…. that is what it comes down to…. preferences.

But the Dri-Ducks will only set you back <$20 and the top is 5.6oz. Sure… you will shred it if you go bushwacking but it is cheap to replace and some duct tape will make it serviceable enough to get you through a hike.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

you're list looks good and as other poster's have mentioned, you're comfortable/experienced w/ your equipment so there is only so far a guy can go

few things that stick out

you've got a quality rain jacket, at a pretty reasonable weight, why even consider going heavier?

what exactly are your "water drops" and why do they weigh 3 oz- this seems awful heavy? 24 micropur tabs weigh under 0.5 oz

don't want to add to your weight :), but hiking at elevation in the West I think you'll find a windshirt to be a very valuable addition, the most breathable waterproof rain jacket is going to having you sweating in no time as you head up a windy switchbacked trail- it'll also be handy when you get into biting bugs

I can see where a 2 liter pot could come in handy at times, but personally wouldn't carry over a 1.0 liter pot/mug for solo use, but I don't cook steak in mine either :) I do carry a 1 oz grill though that I cook fish on, it would handle a steak easy enough too

your sleeping bag/jacket are what I use for shoulder season, "summer" I go lighter, but sounds like I'm on the opposite end of the scale for being warm so that might not be an option

ditch the pack cover, a good liner is all you need

ditto on the spare pants

things I'm not seeing

compass/map
    first aid kit
    whistle
    emergency fire starting
    sunscreen

question for you, I'm using an e-lite, but not hiking at night (not on purpose anyways :)), what light are you using and how does it do?

Mike

j p

@johnnythunder

thanks for the suggestion of the wind shirt. it's something I've flirted with for a few years. but never pulled the trigger because they're less than necessary on the east coast. i figured that if i shelled out a lot for a new jacket i'd use a light windshirt to cut down on using it in damaging moments…windy and sunny…or just after using bug spray. my current jacket is delaminating for that reason, which is why i am considering a new jacket. the one i have now needs to be replaced before another long hike.

i'm at the point where i already have to buy a new jacket and since i'm working again i'd like to spend the right kind of money and get one that'll last a few years.

i see maps/guides as consumables like food, water, and fuel. a compass is something i'll have to add, you're right.

i rarely use sun block but will probably have to. thanks.

i put a whistle clip on my sternum strap a little while ago.

i have never been a campfire guy. and i've always just pitched my tent and got inside when it got too cold or i was in danger of getting too wet.

the water drops are aqua mira. i think that's their weight. not sure. i'll probably have to buck up and carry a filter on teh PCT. what a drag.

i'm currently using a black diamond 3 or 4 led headlamp. one of the standard $30 jobs that uses the 3 triple a's. the elite is great for a few hours and then it starts to fall off too quickly for the cost of the batteries.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

didn't realize yours was on the fritz :) I know a lot of folks that swear by their dri ducks and some of these are folks that have more than one PCT under their belt- worth exploring anyways

as mentioned above the OR Helium might be worth investigating as well

Tyson Marshall
    BPL Member

@sheepngeese

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)

Your list looks great… and keep rockin' the pot and you'll sleep better at night.

I'll echo most people's opinions on dropping the double tights, but you know best (whether you need/want them or not).

As for rain jackets, I think the Norrøna Bitihorn Dri1 is money…It can also cost quite a bit of money with a price tag at $274.95 on backcountry…

If you're able to snag one up for ~$150, I'd say it's a steal. (Backcountry had a sale on the Whisper White color and I picked it up for $125, shipped)

If you do a search for the Bitihorn Dri1, on BPL, there should be a brief review floating around that I did on it.

Definitely keep it in mind.

Cheers to steak meals.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools