Topic

If you get a chance, Watch “180* South” on Netfilx

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion If you get a chance, Watch “180* South” on Netfilx

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Not a Lightweight Backpacking Topic, but over the weekend, I watched a documentary titled "180* South" on Netflix. It is a great film on Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Pategonia. If you have Netflix, definately watch it.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Loved watching this! It may not be backpacking but we can all appreciate a good adventure. I got to reminisce a little about my trip down there. Took the Navimag Ferry up the Chilean coast after a couple weeks backpacking around Fitzroy and The Circuit in Torres Del Paine. Anything else on Netflix that is adventure oriented?

Ryan

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

I saw this a couple of months back. I loved it and highly recommend it, too. It inspired me to get off my rear and get back outside and perhaps challenge myself a little bit more when I am outside.

Sid Riddle

@shiree

Locale: Southeastern US

Wow,
    Great stories, quotes, message, and music.
    very highly recommended, must watch

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I also enjoyed 180 South. I watched a documentary on Reinhold Messner last night that I think is worth watching. Messner happens to mention Royal Robbins and Yvon Chouinard and the movement of climbing that originated in Yosemite.

Messner Documentary (Free on Hulu)

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Well, put me down in the minority, but I didn't like it that much. Other than the scenery.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

The Messner documentary, though, is excellent…….fascinating.

Thanks Dave!

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

Just watched last night, it gave me new respect for the founders of TNF and Patagonia, some very good quotes and insight from them as well.

Ben Froburg

@bfroburg

Locale: New England

I really enjoyed 180 degrees south. I think this film has a lot of deep insights, mixed in with a healthy dose of adventure and light-heartedness. I too discovered this film on netflix (after sifting through some real downers). The interview with Yvon and Peter is great. It makes me want to move to Patagonia and start planting trees and fighting the hydro-giants.

Michael Richey
    BPL Member

@beaverboymike

Locale: Southern Utah

I also enjoyed the film: the scenery, the interviews, the adventure of surfing, sailing, climbing, traveling in foreign countries, etc. I'm not converted to the environmentalist side of the argument, so I found parts of the film to be boring and annoying. While I do agree with conservation of our resources (especially wilderness areas), the idea of using them responsibly and simplifying our lives, I do believe that the natural resources are given to us from God to be wise stewards over, but I don't agree with the idea that we should close off areas to responsible use. Over consumption of resources is something that we should all be concerned about, but we must consume to live. I don't know if this makes any sense, but i'm mostly thinking out loud.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Invoking god is right up there with arguing TP.

A little caution, if I may suggest…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"but I don't agree with the idea that we should close off areas to responsible use"

You mean we shouldn't have wilderness areas?

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Thanks for the recommendation.
    At some point I was thinking it was a clever commercial for North Face and Patagonia, but then I just sat back and took in the scenery.
    Besides it did save me from having to watching Eat Pray Love.

Michael Richey
    BPL Member

@beaverboymike

Locale: Southern Utah

Wilderness area's are great, but when they limit ALL of the land inside of them for very strict, limited use….(ie. hike, but not mtn bike, horse but not motorcycle, hike but not off trail, etc) it seems ridiculous!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"ie. hike, but not mtn bike, horse but not motorcycle, hike but not off trail, etc) it seems ridiculous"

How does one go about using a motorcycle responsibly in a wilderness area? Just askin'.

Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

This one has been on my queue for awhile. I absolutely loved it. I was mesmerized by the story, the history, the scenery, the camera work, the adventure, everything. You see a heavy amount of patagonia gear in this movie, but that seems unavoidable given the focus on Yvon Chouinard and the Conservación Patagonica. It looks like an amazing place. As usual the overall journey and sense of adventure really captivated and inspired me. My hopeful trip to Glacier this coming September can't come soon enough.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools