Topic

Cody Lundin primitive minimalist hiking techniques

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Cody Lundin primitive minimalist hiking techniques

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I was at my mom's house for about 5 days being I don't have cable I was watching Dual Survival show on cable at her home.
    I cringe every time I saw Cory Lundin walking around barefoot in the hot Desert bull spines out of his feet till he made sandals out of car tires.
    The bayou show and Cory was walking around barefoot was crazy. I have had my shoes sucked off in muddy bogs and stepped on small branches submerged in the mud you can't see like natures pongee sticks went through my foot. Cory made it through unscathed is he so in tune with nature and immune to foot damage.

I have any of you tried Cory's complete method primitive minimalist backpacking?
    Cory's site:
    http://www.codylundin.com/

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

There's a reason Native Americans don't go around barefoot today, and even back in the day wore moccasins and sandals!

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I thought I remembered Carol Crooker posting on BPL several years ago able her experiences with the Boulder Outdoor Survival School (BOSS), but I am not finding it. Can someone dig it up? It was an interesting read.

I haven't taken Cody's course and certainly don't follow his style on any trips I plan. He is extreme, and what is does is certainly not for everyone, or even most people, but he seems to know what he's doing. I found his book useful.

In my young years I did some short (2-3 day) primitive trips that were offered by company somewhat like Cody's. They were character building and educational, but I hope not to have to use most of those skills on a trip.

As to his feet being unscathed… I have a few friends who can (or could) do that. A significant part of this is having walked barefoot a lot really toughens up your feet's soles. They become almost like leather. I have friends who could happily walk in snow, step on glass, etc. The other part of it is situational awareness, keeping balance, and fast reflexes. If you and coming down on something you didn't see, but you start to feel very pointed pressure, if you are fast enough and not over committed, you can shift your weight and skip that step and/or shift your foots position so you don't land on the nasty thing. But even the most serious barefooters I know, periodically hurt their feet. The worst was a friend who sliced open his foot on a really sharp piece of ice. This is why shoes (or some sort of foot protections) are so useful, and the lack of shoes is treated as a health risk in developing areas.

–Mark

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I love those shows. I was addicted to survivorman when it was around, and I really enjoyed the Cody Lundin show, too. Highly entertaining stuff. I'm an avid forager, and find primitive living skills very interesting.

However, I wish that people would not practice these techniques along public hiking trails. Last time I was out, I saw dozens of half built stick teepee frames, bough beds, piles of ferns, and rock shelters/reflecting walls along the shores of Lake Superior. Some of the rock creations were quite innovative and actually enhanced my hike (I've never minded rock cairns, either) but most of this stuff was just destructive and looked pretty ineffective. It is also prohibited in most public parks.

Leave no trace is a beautiful thing.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Mark is this what you are looking for?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for looking Roger, but that wasn't the article I remember. My memory is that it was a multi-page review. I could be mis-remembering who wrote the article, or where the article showed up. The article has a day by day description of the participant's experience, including the smart, and not so smart decisions they made.

–Mark

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

I used to hike barefoot allot as a teen, it is very possible to do what Cody does. The catch is, you can't just do it for the weekend, you have to pretty much live that way. I went barefoot as much as possible as a child, and when I wore shoes, they were minimal, with no socks, even in the winter. In my teens I wore hand built moccasins, that I resoled many, many times, again no socks. Ishi liked suits, but he still preferred to go barefoot. I worked up to 5+ miles this summer on rough trails, with Five Fingers, but 20 years ago I could do it barefoot. You have a very different outlook on the world when going that minimal, you notice allot more, and you step carefully. There is much to be gained, besides tough feet, doing so.

I got pulled over when I was 16, coming back from a backpacking trip in S UT. I'd been out for a week, but looked like I'd been out there longer. When the officer approached my VW van, saw my cowboy hat, and heard the rap music, he imediately asked me to get out. So I stepped bare foot out onto the highway, and we walked to the back of the van. When we got to the back of the van and he saw that I was barefoot, he decided it was time for a field sobriety test. An hour later, after the dog had gone through everything 3 times, and allot of questions about all the ammunition, I was on my way again. I still prefer to drive barefoot, but thats for comfort.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools