Topic

Need to Fix Merrell Tawas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need to Fix Merrell Tawas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Locale: Central Texas Hill Country

Greetings Everyone,

In January I'm going to Big Bend with a couple of friends and I'm thinking about foot wear. Right now I have a pair of Merrell Tawas which I bought not long before a trip to the Gila Wilderness. They were extremely comfortable except for the fact that the hard rubber that cups my heel on the outside really digs into the back of my ankle!

I can't afford to buy a new pair of shoes to hike in before January 6th, and I don't have anything else near suitable to wear for this expedition. The only solution I can come up with is that I must fix them. I have never done this before… I thought about:

A. Taking a pair of pliers and working that rubber back and forth until it bends easily.

B. Cutting some of the hard rubber off of the shoe.

Below are pictures of this dilemma. Has anyone come across a situation like this before? Or does anyone have suggestions on what I should do! I do have big ankles so I'm sure that is a lot of the issue.

shoe1

shoe2

shoe3

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

-Rob

Tom Howard
    Spectator

@tomhoward

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi Rob,
    A quick fix to your problem. If you have a good shoe repair shop or an old time shoe store. They will have a tool called
    a Roll ease and it will actually roll out that problem,in just afew minutes.
    I have a Childrens Shie store and we roll out kids shoes all the time
    Tom

Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Locale: Central Texas Hill Country

Thanks Tom, I'm going to go that route! It sure beats trying to fix it myself and messing it up!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools