Topic

bivy foot vent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear bivy foot vent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eric Lavering

@lave

Locale: Western Montana

I’ve noticed a few people mentioning that they’ve added foot vents to their bivys. Is this just like huge hole that’s as big as the entire circumference of the bivy and cinches up to form the foot box? Or is there some fancy pattern wizardry? Also, how necessary would such a foot vent be on an Epic-topped bivy in semi-arid Montana? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    -Eric

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

As necessary as in the semi-arid Sierra Nevada. Some condensation does tend to form even on lower humidity nights at the foot area—which can be mitigated by a foot vent—- and around the hood area ( especially if one is not careful in positioning the hood opening so breath is being vented outside the bivy). The foot vent also makes the bivy more comfortable over a broader temp. range. Precip doesn’t always come when it’s cold.

MLD bivys are the only (semi)production bivys I know that have a foot vent. Nothing fancy about the construction of such a vent—-just think of a drawstring closed stuffsack.

Eric Lavering

@lave

Thanks Kevin, that answers my question perfectly. My only concern now is that if you just cinch the bottom of the bivy closed, isn’t there going to be a little hole left? Should I make a little flap to cover the hole or just not worry about it? Thanks.
    -Eric

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Really not a issue—Epic fabric has a soft “hand” and will bunch up really tight to close the opening. No flap needed.

Eric Lavering

@lave

Awesome, thanks Kevin. I’m super excited to get this thing started! I’m probably going to sleep through all my classes tomorrow after the all-nighter I’m about to pull!
    -Eric

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

shouldn’t foot vents also be screened, or covered in mesh, to keep the critters out?

Cameron Reed

@cameronjreed

I would definitely put no-see-um mesh in the foot vent to keep the critters and bugs out.
    IMHO

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools