Topic

resupply at Wolf Creek Pass, CO

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips resupply at Wolf Creek Pass, CO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark Hyams
    Spectator

@markhyams

My wife and I are thinking of doing a section of the CDT (Cumbres Pass to Silverton), and want to resupply at Wolf Creek Pass without hitching into Pagosa Springs. Is it possible? Is there is a place there to leave/mail a food box? I noticed there is a lodge at Wolf Creek, but is it open in the summer? We are talking about August 2011. Thanks for your help!

Mark

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Nothing there except the Lodge, a mile+ down the east side.

Call them. I'm sure someone is working through the summer months.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

And please post any response and/or outcome here, including contact info for whatever lodge this is. Others are planning something similar. Thanks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Are you looking for the Boot Jack Ranch, which is south of the pass, or the ski lodge, east of the pass?

–B.G.–

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

The Boot Jack Ranch is a private residence, recently purchased for $43 MM by some Texas billionaire.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

I emailed the Wolf Creek Ski Area and inquired about their status in the summer and any possible resupply. Looks like a long hitch into Pagosa Springs or South Fork.

Alternatively, hikers can rent a car in Durango, drive the 87 miles to Wolf Creek Pass and dig in a cache for yourselves. Ditto at Cumbres Pass. Then go back to Durango, turn in the car, and in your case, take the scenic railroad all the way to Silverton, hitch up to the trail and go south.

Others could take the scenic railroad up to the Elk Creek stop, hike the 9 miles up to the CDT, and head south.

Hi Bob,

Sorry, we shut it down up here in the Summer.

Sincerely,

Jamie Heirtzler
    Marketing
    Wolf Creek Ski Area
    P.O. Box 2800
    Pagosa Springs, CO 81147
    (970) 264-5639
    Fax: (970) 264-5732
    http://www.wolfcreekski.com

On Jan 31, 2011, at 1:25 PM, Bob Bankhead wrote:

Is the lodge open or manned after April?

Hikers on the Continental Divide Trail would dearly love to have a place to send resupply boxes, which could be held for a fee. It would save us the long hitch into Pagosa Springs or South Fork.

Bob Bankhead

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools