Topic

River crossing overboots?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) River crossing overboots?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Derek Kind
    BPL Member

@berethorn

I'm looking for a better method of crossing rivers and streams in cold weather, when getting wet feet is not desirable.

Instead of taking boots or shoes off and switching shoes or going barefoot, why not slip on some sort of waterproof bag, or overboot that completely covers one's hiking footwear. It would need to be reinforced on the bottom so it doesn't puncture easily, but shouldn't be very heavy to carry. Slip them on before going in, slip it off after and hang it from the pack to dry while you carry on with dry feet – it seems like a logical solution, but I haven't seen anyone advocating it.

Does anyone use or sell such a product? :-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The practicality depends somewhat on the water depth you expect to ford.

I was headed to Alaska's Denali National Park, and the park rangers warn visitors that the streams are all over the place, and the water is very cold. So, I constructed some "waders" made out of heavy transparent polyethylene bags. The bags were very long and narrow, so I could slip my feet in. To prevent a stream bed rock from puncturing them, I made soles out of Reflectix, and fixed them on the bottom, both outside the plastic and also inside. To hold the tops on my thighs, I used rubber bands. The pair weighed two or three ounces.

–B.G.–

Derek Kind
    BPL Member

@berethorn

That's an excellent idea, just the sort of thing I was thinking of!

I've also found something called Wiggy's Waders, but they're more expensive than they need to be (and heavier than your idea) and could be handmade:

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/25/products_id/49

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

You know, you could make something similar to Wiggy's Over-Boot Waders, which I think are kinda cool, using the material that B.G. used. At that kind of weight you could afford (weight-wise) to make them waist high for added precaution against getting wet.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

B.G.,

Do you remember what the original purpose of those bags was? Were they some sort of industrial trash bag perhaps?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Industrial trash bags tend to be very round in shape. I wanted something narrow and foot-sized. I had purchased some camera tripods wrapped in bags, so I got two bags of the right size.

–B.G.–

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Bob,

I looked up Reflectix. Did you use single reflective or double reflective? Is it available in small quantities?

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Kendall,

PM me for reflectix. I have some smaller pieces from home projects left over. Great stuff to ake cozies out of.

Regards,
    John

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The Reflectix that I have is roughly 0.2" thick, and it is basically a thin aluminized layer on top and bottom with thin bubble-pack in between. In my area, there is one premium hardware store that sells it by the foot (not packaged), and it was a couple of feet wide. I think there are variations in Reflectix.

–B.G.–

Kevin Kelleher

@softouch

Locale: Blue Ridge Mountains

Check out Neos River Trekkers. I have used them for several years in the rocks. Very tough, Great for fishing. Good Rain gear too. No need to cashe your boots; you wear them inside. A little heavy for some SUL hikers (about 2.5 lbs) but man are they comfortable compared to wet wading.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools