Topic

Sub 2-lb October Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Sub 2-lb October Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Hayes Holland

@halvdan

I went to this website:
    http://www.cubenfiber.com/
    Is this your Cuben Fiber material source? They have a 9 yd, min order in any cobination. Is this the matierail I can use for projects like you have so nicely displayed? Great sub-2lb kit logs, good luck and have fun. Keep us posted.

Donald Walker
    BPL Member

@walkerfish

Locale: New England

Bill, if you have tarp stakes why carry a potty trowel? Or if it’s needed can you use the trowel as one of your stakes?

Also, those balloon bed balloons are near impossible to inflate by mouth. Are you a balloon twister? Are you pre-inflating the balloons? What’s your secret? The weight you’ve listed obviously does not include a small hand pump.

Walkerfish

mark henley

@flash582

Toss it in the washer twice and it becomes VERY soft

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hayes,

Yes, you are at the correct web site. The web site needs to be up-dated so most of what I use has changed number or is new. The light Cuben I use most is product number CTO.3K.08. It weighs about 0.35 oz +/- a sq yard (36″x36″). Ask if they have any “shorts” in this product. If you are real lucky they might. If they don’t you will need to buy the min. and that is 9 yard+ or try again another time.

Donald,

You might call the Potty Trowel a backup stake. I am carrying it to show that I care about “digging cat holes”. It works great and if I need an extra tent stake I can use it. If I need an extra little weight to stay under 32 ounces and one of my Ti tent stakes would put me there I would leave one tent stake home. Have you ever lost a tent stake, happens easy. I do have a bit of “Day-Glo” paint on each to help me find them.

Blowing up a balloon is something you should be able to learn. I was taught by a “Balloon Twister” and he also taught me how to tie the balloons using a slip knot so I can use “some” of them more than once. You can try pre-inflating the balloons first and see if that helps. I still can’t blow up the really thin ones by mouth. If you just can’t do it try a different brand balloon. I do not carry a balloon pump anymore

Robert Miller

@procab

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear you’re hitting the trail again. I look forward to your trip report. There’s nothing like the trial of the trail to help refine your designs.

Enjoy,
    Robert

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Hey Donald, thanks!

I have been thinking about adding a trowel to my gear list so i can make propper cat holes, but i don’t like the idea of adding a sinle use item to my list. Untill now i used my trekking pole to dig, which sort of works, but not really well.

Than i read your remark about using a stake and i had a ‘smack-my-forehaed’ kind of moment. It sounds like a good idea. How well does it work, digging a cat hole with a stake? I will most definately try it on a next hike. Sadly, i just came back from a hike and it’s unlikely that i will hike again before 2008 :'(

Eins

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

This is the kind of tent stake I used before I made my Ti Potty Trowel.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I am in Georgia. The weather is very nice but maybe a bit to warm to wear my #2 wool Crew and Bottoms (50? +/- to 75 +/-?) and my Tunic/Quilt the first week or so.

I may have to adjust a few things.

My longer hike “first hike” starts tomorrow and I just hope for a Sub 4-5 pound gear list. I am carrying several (same type items) to check out for my Sub 2-lb hike.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

Bill..any chance you will be near Neels Gap this weekend??

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Bill,

Best of luck on your hike!

Cheers
    Dan

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Sunny,
    Yes, I am at the Hiker Hostel today and tonight. Then again a couple days after the first hike. We (I am getting ready to go to Atlanta to pick up my hike parter in a couple of minutes) want to hike over to Neels Gap when we get near Blood Mtn if he has the time. He leaves Atlanta to go back home on 11 Oct. I will be in the area till about the 16th.

You can send me an email if you want

Daniel,
    Thanks, it should be a great time/hike.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

We have finished the Georgia Loop. This was not the Sub 2-lb hike. I used my modified G6 for this hike. It worked really well. It took us 5 days to do the hike. I surprised myself. My Dry Ensure worked well. I lost one pound over the 5 days of the hike.

We only had one cold (42 degrees) morning low. The other low temp’s were around 56 degrees.

I have a few good pictures but no way to upload them where I am. I may have to wait till I get home to post the pictures.

I think the weather will be to warm to wear any of my warmer clothes hiking to get in a Sub 2-lb hike. I will have to wear them at night so they will have to go into my pack. It also is raining a little. I have to wait till Sunday anyway and will decide them about the Sub 2-lb hike.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Bill,
    Seemed like a nice trip.
    I just saw your ti-potty trowel and hate to say it but it sure does look a lot like your regular ti-spoon.
    I sure hope you don’t have any problems confussing the 2.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use an MSR snow stake that looks much like the one in Bill’s photo. I wrapped it with some light braided nylon line to provide some grip. It can still be used a stake or to break hard ground for a lighter stake. One advantage to using a stake for a potty trowel is that you can hit it with a rock or stick to break up a hard surface layer. It takes up a lot less space than a plastic trowel too.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Springer Mt – GA – AT. Oct 2006

Along the Duncan Ridge Trail, GA – Oct 2006

Balloon Bed at Woods Hole Shelter – GA AT. Oct 2006

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Bill, it’s really nice and educational to finally see your system in use. Plus you really look happy out there on the trail.

Your tunic/quilt looks especially useful, and now I’m sure I’d like to make something similar myself. I’m not sure I’d be too comfortable with the shortened length of the balloon bed. That drop around the knees would probably keep me up all night. I’m not sure what temperatures are like in Georgia at this time of year (warmer than this latitude of Japan, I suspect), so I’m wondering how the tunic/ quilt’s warmth worked out.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your gear in use and of the trip itself.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for your nice comments.

I was very happy to get back in the woods. This was my first real hike in over 3 years. I really enjoyed the two hikes and surprised myself with my physical condition. We made much better time than we had thought I would be able to. We did 12.3 miles in about 6 hours the first day and about the same each day. This may not sound like a lot to some but I was real surprised and never hurt the next day. I used two trekking poles a lot the first couple days as the up hills were steep. I think I did better by using both poles most of the time. We were on the AT from Woody Gap toward Springer Mt and I think it is harder going south on that part of the AT than going north.

The temps on the “Tunic days” were something like lows of 34 highs about 61. On the first hike the lowest temp was 41 one morning but the normal lows were 50 plus and highs from low 70’s to 82 one day. Those temps were way to warm to wear the long underwear and Tunic. The cool days on the second hike let me wear the Tunic and it felt good. The wind was blowing and with the cool temps the long underwear and Tunic felt good.
    I used both my Bivy Liner and Tunic/Quilt a couple nights inside the Bivy and was very warm.

The balloon bed is up for a modification to make it longer. The short version was OK when I was on my side sleeping but I think I want it a little longer. I will make a longer one and then use which ever one I want. My first balloon bed had the balloons running long ways and was a little over 6′ long. I also will make it wider as the balloons are longer than the CheerStics. The shell for the balloon bed was made for the CheerStics.

I was hiking with a friend and he took a bunch of pictures of me and my gear with his camera and when I get those pictures I will add them.

By the time I was on my second hike I had my gear tweaked good and was ready to go much longer than I had time for. I couldn’t as I have a few medical things the end of this week and next week to take care of. I expect to get back out for a longer hike before the end of the year.

My dry food worked really well and that was my big concern. I came up with a better way to package my food and next time eating several times a day will go much faster.

I have a number of changes to make to my gear and a few new things that I will start working on soon.

Roman Dial

@romandial

Locale: packrafting NZ

Bill,

Your gear and trip are every cool. Good on you for sharing your innovations.

Inspiring.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Bill

> I was very happy to get back in the woods. This was my first real hike in over 3 years. I really enjoyed the two hikes and surprised myself with my physical condition. We made much better time than we had thought I would be able to. We did 12.3 miles in about 6 hours the first day and about the same each day. This may not sound like a lot to some but I was real surprised and never hurt the next day.

Welcome back to the wilds! It’s been a hard time. May you enjoy it all the more.

Cheers

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I want to Thank PJ, Roman and Roger for all their nice comments and everyone else for all there suggestions as I worked on this.

I really think my recovery was speeded along by having something like makeing gear and planning hikes to focus on. I am getting ready to work on my next hike – gear list.

This is my final hike ready Sub 2 – lb Gear List with few pictures of the gear spread out. The gear is laying on my GG Ground Sheet.
    ==
    Final – Sub 2-lb Gear List – 13 Oct 2006
    Weather range for the next 4 days. Lows down to 35, highs up to 65. Windy, clear and sunny.

1- PACK – SHELTER – SLEEPING: As of – 13 Oct 2006

Backpack Cuben Pack – Modified w/Sternum Strap 1.97-p
    Pack liner – GG – Pack liner – M 1.35-p
    Sleeping pad Balloon Bed (12 to 19 balloons & Kilt Shell) 1.96-p
    Shelter Poncho/Tarp 2.80-p
    Shelter support (Using trekking poles) 0.0
    Stakes (6) for Poncho/Tarp 1.23-p
    Guylines for Poncho/Tarp 1.42-p
    Sleeping bag Quilt/Tunic – counted as clothing 0.0
    Bivy Sack 3.00-p
    Ground Sheet GG Polycryo Cloth (m) 1.65-p

Total weight in pack – 15.39 oz

2 – CLOTHING: As of 13 Oct 2006

Kilt Home-Made Kilt (counted w/balloon bed)-p
    Base layer top Patagonia #2 Wool Crew 6.7-w
    Base layer bottom Pat. #2 Wool Bottoms 6.34-w
    Insulating top PG-D Tunic/Quilt 7.82-w
    Raingear (hard shell) top Poncho/Tarp-p
    Windgear Use Poncho-p
    Warm gloves Possumdown 1.37-p
    Socks-wear Wright-Sock 1/4 2.77-w
    Spare socks Wright-Sock 1/4 1.68-p
    Insulated Toe Cozy's 0.67-p (see picture below)
    Trail Runners TNF Ultra 102's 28.34-w
    Tilley LT6 Hat 3.25-w

Total weight in pack – 3.72 oz
    Total worn – 55.22 oz

3 – COOKING – WATER: As of 13 Oct 2006

Stove N/A 0.0
    Windscreen N/A 0.0
    Fuel bottle N/A 0.0
    Matches/lighter Strike anywhere matches 0.2-p
    Cook pot N/A 0.0
    Cook pot lid N A 0.0
    Drinking mug 12 oz Soda Can 0.42-p
    Utensils Home-Made Ti Spoon 0.23-p
    Food storage bag Zip Locks(?) ?
    Bear bag hang system N/A 0.0
    1 Liter Platy "bottle" 0.78 x 2 = 1.56-p
    Water treatment – Mirropur MP1-Tablets (15) 0.41-p
    Esbit Tablets 1 each (.5oz) 0.5-p

Total weight in pack 3.32 oz

4 – MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS: As of – 13 Oct 2006

Flashlight/headlamp 1 white photon with small Swiss Army Knife 1.07p
    Trekking poles (1) Home-Made Trekking Pole 3.2-w
    Headnet (if necessary add 0.33 oz) 0.0
    Bug dope Out of Bug Season 0.0
    Blistex Ultra 1.0-p
    Toothbrush toothbrush 0.2-p
    Toothpaste (use Dr. Bronner's) 0.0
    Alcohol hand gel Dr. Bronner's soap 0.2-p
    Toilet paper 8 squares per day 0.5-p
    Potty trowel Home-Made Ti 0.31-p
    Blister & minor wound care 1.06-p
    Chem Heat Pack 2/1.38-p
    Whistle 0.1-p
    Firestarting kit 0.2-p
    Repair (included in with first aid) 0.0
    Watch – Timex Alarm 2.5-w
    Compass (on watch) 0.0
    Maps and permits 1.0-p
    Camera (?) ?
    Journal kit (?) ?

Total in pack – 6.22 oz
    Total worn – 6.7 oz

Sub Total (1+2+3+4)
    Total in pack – 28.65 oz
    Total worn – 61.92 oz

5 – CONSUMABLES: As of – 13 Oct 2006

Food 2.5 days at 1.25 lbs 60.00 /3.75 – lb
    Water 2 L average carried 64.0 / 4-lb
    Fuel No Hot Meals – Liquid Diet 0.0
    Medicine

Total – 7.75 – lb

6 – TOTAL: As of 13 Oct 2006

Total in Pack – 28.65 oz
    (Weight available for (?) items "in pack" = 3.35 oz) (Sub 2-lb = less than 32 oz)

Wear / Carry – 61.92 oz

Consume – 124.00 oz

214.57 oz / 13 pounds – 6.57 oz

Total Hike Weight (Naked Weight) = 149 lb
    Total Hike Weight (On my body Weight) = 13 lb / 6.57 oz

Total Weight on my feet – Start Day 1 = 162 lb / 5.70 oz

What was in the Sub 2 – lb Pack:

My Cuben Pack modified with a Sternum Strap:

My Insulated Toe Cozy's. These were made in GA after a cold toe night on the first hike. I had taken a scrap "cut-off" piece of my Bivy Liner to use as a neck wrap. I cut it in half – hand sewed the sides and added a cord to each so I could tie it around my ankle to keep my toes warm at night. They were really easy to make and worked great.

My toes had gotten cold on the 42 degree night when I slid off my sleeping pad just enough for my feet to be on the cold ground. My cold feet woke me up and I put my Cuben booties on with my second pair of socks over them. I fixed my pad and went back to sleep. The toe cozy's weigh 0.67 oz.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Bill, I have been patiently waiting months for to see this post. The (for now)definitive list and photos of your sub 2lb rig. Look at all that cuben!

I’m curious to hear what kind of conversations you may or may not have with fellow hikers. I know when I encounter fellow ultralighters on the trail I always love to chat with about their ideas. I often find my brain being picked by traditionalists looking to lighten up as well.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Bill, this gear list and those photos are, as Sam said, exactly what I’ve been waiting to see all this time. Very inspiring! I’d just like to ask one thing… I can’t identify all the items in your first photo. Is there a chance you might be able to provide one of those “clockwise from the top left” captions, descibing what it is that I am looking at? It’s hard because all the cuben makes things look the same. Thanks!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Sam and Miguel,

Thanks for asking. I can do that and I thought about both your questions when I took the pictures this afternoon. I should be able to do it by rows.

I am about to eat something and then will do it. It should be posted in a couple of hours.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Top row Left to Right:
    Pertex Quantum / Cuben Bivy with the Climashield Combat Liner attached.

Cuben Poncho/Tarp with 6 Ti tent stakes and guylines made from 1/16" Yale Cordage "Pulse" line.

Next row: Left to Right:
    Black Kilt/Shell for Balloon Bed and bag of Balloons.

Shop Towels cut for TP with my Ti Trowel and BMW small bottle of Dr Bronner's soap (brown cap).

Under Shop Towels are my Micropur MP 1 Purifier Tablets.

Platy 1 Liter water bottles (2).

Cuben Pack modified with sternum straps.

Cuben Booties with spare pair of socks laying on top. Socks were used for padding in my shoulder straps.

Next row Left to Right:

12 oz Diet Coke can used to eat Dry Food from and my home made Ti long handle spoon. The spoon handle is pointing to my Food Bag.

Zip lock with my Blister/Wound care stuff, Blistex and Tooth brush.

Zip lock next to my gloves has my Matches, Esbit tablet, Firestarting kit, Chemical heat packs.

BMW Possumdown gloves.

Wool Watch cap.

GG Pack liner.

Climashield Combat Toe Cozy's.

1- Everything is laying on my GG Polycryo Ground Cloth.

2- Counted as in my pack but attached to a belt loop on my pants is my Photon LED and small Swiss Army Knife. The knife got left off my gear list and weighs 0.72 oz. I have added it to the gear list as in the pack.

3- The whistle is hiding on the pack and didn't show up in the picture.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Hi Bill,

Congratulations on such a strong start! Great to see the fruiton of all the planning and work.

When you get back, can you comment on the use of cuben for a bivy bottom? I see you are using a ground sheet. Is this an indication that the cuben does not hold up or is it that you are being cautious?

Best, Jhaura

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools