Topic

best winter hiking boots (not vertical mountaineering) with supportive shank

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking best winter hiking boots (not vertical mountaineering) with supportive shank

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I’m looking for a winter hiking boot comfortable for hiking (not vertical mountaineering) on and off trail for both my wife and me with insulation to about -20 to -25F and a nylon shank for support. I find many winter boots don’t have a supportive shank, just soft rubber bottom.

Many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

John Schafer

@jdshiker

I’ve used the winterra for the past 2 winters. I don’t know if it has a nylon shank or not, but the sole is much more supportive than most pac boots. They work well with both snowwhoes and crampsons. On the downside they are not lightweight and they are a little narrow for my slightly wide feet (I wear the wide version of the montrail hardrock for 3 season hiking). I should have sized up.

I believe they have been replaced by a new model. The Thermo 8 and/or 6. Campmor still hase a few sizes for a very reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools