Topic

2mm Guywire Braided Dyneema Cord 50′ $12.95

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 2mm Guywire Braided Dyneema Cord 50′ $12.95

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Everyone,

I have been having trouble getting more of the 2.2mm hi-viz yellow braided Dyneema so I went ahead and found a very nice alternative. Its a 2.0mm hi-viz orange braided Dyneema called Guywire. It weighs the exact same at 1.27oz (36.3grams) per 50' but its about 50% stronger with a weight rating of 975lbs. It's suitable for light duty hauling applications including bear bagging, tent guy lines, tarp ridge lines, lightweight whoopie slings, and anything else you can can think of. The normal price on this stuff is going to be $15.95 per 50' but in order to get some out there I am going to let it go for $12.95 per 50' with free shipping. I will probally raise the price after Jan 1st so get it while you can.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Mountainfitter.com

Mountainfitter Guywire 2mm braided dyneema cord

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Lawson,

I can't help being a gearhead. For some reason I am always attracted to lines ropes and "the perfect hiker's knife". There is no such thing as the perfect hiker's knife but I can dream of a 5", full tang, rubber handled, high carbon steel, kydex sheathed, .75 ounce knife can't I? ;-)

I'll probably order some of this line to replace the one on my bear bag. But I do have a question or two.

What is the status of the reflective guyline that you spoke about developing on another thread?

Are your nail type stakes close to going up for sale on your website anytime soon?

Party On,

Newton

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Hi Lawson,

I troll on this forum looking for good deals from time to time and came across your sale.

I use a silnylon poncho/tarp with thin, white cords from old blinds at my house. I've never had a problem with strength, and I ~believe~ it is light weight (cheap weight?), but can you compare and contrast with the hi-viz stuff you have for sale?

Bryce's Tarp

Bryce's Tarp

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey John,
    I think you just described the perfect hikers knife. I have a Gerber LMF II Survival that I love but its not light at 19oz..So if there would be a way to put it on a 18oz diet I would carry it with me everywhere.

The reflective 100% dyneema/spectra guyline cannot be made or so thats what I am told by every cord maker out there that works with Dyneema/Spectra. It has to do with their coating process. They all can make a triptease type cord with a polyester sheath but whats the sense in trying to compete with Kelty. Now if you tell me Triptease is made in China I might look at the idea. Do you know where its made???

The nails stakes have been plagued with setbacks. The only company that would make them using a 7075 T6 required a 1,000 lb order which is something like 45,000 nail stakes. I found another company last week that is going to make me a sample. They still haven't told me a minimum so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am going to start selling Ti-Stakes on my website again so keep an eye out for those as well.

Hey Bryce,
    It looks like the blind cord is working good for your application. Blind cord is usually a solid braid and is made from nylon or polyester. Its essentially the same thing as a shoe string. I am not sure of weight ratings since this isn't apart of the design but I would say its around 50lbs. If its polyester then it has good uv resistance but if its nylon then it has medium uv resistance. On shorter pieces you wouldn't notice it much but an all nylon cord has alot of stretch while a polyester cord has less stretch but it still has some. This can be a problem if your using silnylon or using long pieces.. If you can get the blind cord for free and its working good for you I would suggest continuing to use it. Guywire on the other hand has zero stretch and is weight rated to 975lbs so it works great for tarp ridgelines, bear bagging, whoopie slings, guy lines that cannot freeze and break, and anything else you can think of. Its basically ultralight cord on steroids.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Lawson,

No I cannot tell you that Triptease is made in China. ;-)

But I did find
    this cord
    in Cabela's not too long ago. As I remember it the packaging did say Made in China.

The particulars of the cord are a poplyester core and a braided, reflective sheath.

As I remember Triptease has a Spectra core. Kelty's site says Dyneema® and REI's site says Nylon/Spectra cord. Campmor has it for sale at $9.97.

Dyneema® fiber is an Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMwPE).

With the prices being so close to one another I found it hard to believe that the cord at Cabelas was not the same thing generically lableled. But after looking at REI's site again I see where Triptease is made in the USA.

So for now if you need reflective guyline with a dyneema core made in the USA, ;-) it looks like Campmor is the place to be.

I'm still interested in your line for my bear bag. I'll get with you later ;-)

Party On,

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Lawson,

I just ordered mine.

I'm impressed with the PayPal link that works now. ;-)

BTW Thanks again for the grosgrain ribbon that you "paid forward" not too long ago.

Party On,

Newton

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I do whatever I can to make my business partners happy. Wait I mean customers… Your cord will ship contaminate free.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Lawson,

I appreciate your honest assessment and opinion. Have a great holiday!

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Lawson,

>>I do whatever I can to make my business partners happy.<<

Truer words were never spoken!

Merry Christmas from the Donewars to you and yours.

Party On,

Newton

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I have received a few requests for shorter sections so I figured I would make those available.

25' are $7.95
    50' are $12.95

Right now all my products ship free so these prices include shipping.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Is this like the 3m reflective guyline in that if the night is very dark, and you shine a flashlight anywhere near the tent, it glows as if it is radioactive? I've seen bright yellow guylines that don't. I've had tents ripped on a hike due to people tripping on guylines during the dark (and had it been the 3m reflective guyline, they'd have seen it). I'm all for dyneema string (I've owned some plain white dyneema deep sea fishing line before, 500 and 1000 lb strength), but have switched to the 3m reflective guyline for my tents to help prevent anymore ripping of tents due to tripping over the guylines at night.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

The line is not reflective at night but its sure bright as hell during the day.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I like the fact that it isn't so insanely visible.
    Many times I've had to stealth camp and find that reflective line can stand out to much.

My order has been placed.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I am now offering $5.00 USPS First Class Mail International Shipping on all orders. The only requirement is that the order weighs under 13oz. Thanks for the business.

Lawson

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice job on the shipping Lawson. I wish more retailers would offer First Class Mail International. So many retailers (ie. BPL) only offer really expensive shipping options which is annoying when I don't need insurance, tracking and extremely fast delivery. FCM International is perfect for small, light and fairly low valued packages.

I'll likely grab some of this stuff once your corkscrew stakes are in stock. Somehow I lost my bear bag cord on a recent trip.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools