Topic

Best “Sierra Like” backpack near Southern California with lake and fishing.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Best “Sierra Like” backpack near Southern California with lake and fishing.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

OK, father planning summer trips with little ones here. We've done the San Jacinto / San Gorgonio / deserts etc around San Diego. I'd like to get a trip planned for a three day backpack after snows clear in a days drive from San Diego. Let's say mountainous with fishing… not necessarily all the way up to yosemite or sierras… just south of there. Ideas? Kids are 9 /8 / 6….. Thanks as always for the brain bank here.

Ed

BRIAN TACKETT

@tacksman99

Locale: So Cal

You and me both Edward are interested in finding a new area. I'm north in Ventura Co.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Have you guys ever tried hiking around Kings Canyon or just north of there by like the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness or the John Muir Wilderness?

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

How about the southern sections of the Golden Trout Wilderness/Sierra National Forest (not park), accessed off of Hwy 190 behind Springville and Porterville?

It's a bit lower in elevation, say 6,000'- 8,000' high… you can easily still have to deal with snow during the winter, but come spring, it clears up pretty quickly.

It's a popular area in the summer with horse packers but I haven't seen too many hikers out that way over the years. A friend's family has a private inholding out that way, so I head in there once or twice a year for a visit.

I don't know about lakes in the area off the top of my head, but you've got the Kern and Little Kern to fish along with smaller creeks and tributaries.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Thanks guys. I'm looking all those ideas up. I've done some minaret / mammoth area hikes before, but none of those areas are familar to me. Something to read up on … thanks!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Try Gem Lakes out of Bishop. Head north through Bishop on hwy 395 towards Mammoth, when you get to Tom's place make a left and follow it till the road ends, at Little Lakes T.H. The hike is 3.3 miles one way with only 600ft elevation gain, great fishing and picture taking. The Lake will look Emerald green when the sun reaches about 12 noon, or when ever it tops over the mountain, this is one of my favorite hikes. I will pm you with a link to view my pics.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

When I was hiking the PCT, a lot of fishermen were seen heading to the Kern River in the Rockhouse basin area south of Kennedy Meadows. Others were just north of Kennedy Meadows, also on the Kern. I hear this gets a little hot further into the summer, so it might be a great choice for late spring/early summer and fall.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools